Engine differences

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halffast17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine differences

So I'm looking for some information about the d17a2 motor and d17a1 VTEC and the d17a motor which is non VTEC what are the differences other than the heads for the ECM ignition module will they transfer over or will it cause issues I've read some stuff about saying one of the exhaust valves won't open all the way but I'm looking for more information about if it's really going to be bad or if it will work also this is for a manual transmission
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Engine differences

So you have a bad what? and your considering replacing it with different what.

Quite a few threads on here how and why either way, are you thinking doing this yourself?
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

I need to replace the ECM and ignition module my ECM fried and I was told the only way to work without reprogramming is to have the same ECM and ignition module and one of the parts cars I was looking at had the d17a motor and one had the d17a1 motor but my car has the d17a2
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Your going to also need the matching key and ignition lock to even have a chance of plug and play.

Way easier to just disable the green indicator in the dash and bypass the ECU control of the fuel pump... Just saying.. Heck if blinking green light doesn’t bother you that’s even better.

Be very wary of what ECU you get, auto vs manual, EX / HX / LX , 2001-3 and 2004-5. All things that lock down what computer you need.
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Your going to also need the matching key and ignition lock to even have a chance of plug and play.

Way easier to just disable the green indicator in the dash and bypass the ECU control of the fuel pump... Just saying.. Heck if blinking green light doesn’t bother you that’s even better.

Be very wary of what ECU you get, auto vs manual, EX / HX / LX , 2001-3 and 2004-5. All things that lock down what computer you need.
so if I disconnected from the ignition module I can just replace the ECU and if so how do I disconnect it from the ignition module
Old 07-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Halffast17
I need to replace the ECM and ignition module my ECM fried and I was told the only way to work without reprogramming is to have the same ECM and ignition module and one of the parts cars I was looking at had the d17a motor and one had the d17a1 motor but my car has the d17a2
Just keep looking until you find one that correctly matches YOUR car.
Old 07-21-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

What year, what model is your car? auto? Manual? right now, not enough info to help you
Old 07-21-2018
Registered!!

I have an 01 civic ex 4 door with a d17a2 motor and manual transmission
Old 07-21-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have an 01 civic ex 4 door with a d17a2 motor and manual transmission
Years 01-03 with that engine and that trans should work.

WHY do you need an ECM?
Old 07-21-2018
Registered!!

Thanks and mine fried when the alternator came lose it first went into limp mode and then just completely died
Old 07-21-2018

www.car-part.com
Old 07-21-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Years 01-03 with that engine and that trans should work.
this says all

as others have said. get the keys and anything related to keys (doors, trunk, steering wheel key locks, etc)
Old 07-21-2018

Or spend the hundred bucks to have it programmed and just keep your original keys and locks.

Maybe a local locksmith can program it cheaper than your dealer, and come to you to do it in your driveway.
Old 07-21-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

how can I bypass this or is there a website that I can get more info
Old 07-21-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

how can I bypass this or is there a website that I can get more info
easier to look at the link posted by ezone first and see where there is a 01-03 EX manual car parts... and program keys to ECU
Old 07-21-2018
Registered!!

Without building a engine running sense circuit you would be in danger of having the fuel pump pumping as long as the key was in run position even in a crash which damaged the fuel lines.......

Otherwise a simple relay jumper wire plugged into the socket for the right most Pgm-fI relay socket..