1st - 5th Generation Civic 1973 - 1995 In the years from 1973 to 1995 Honda released its 1-5th Generation Civics.
1st Gen 1972 - July 1979
2nd Gen 1979 - 1983
3rd Gen 1984 - 1987
4th Gen 1987 - 1991
5th Gen 1992 - 1995

gonna sound dumb....but ill ask

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"goose"Jay is an unknown quantity at this point
gonna sound dumb....but ill ask

So for idk a bajillion months ive been trying to diagnose my cars idle issue, and sluggishness. It only happens on cold cranks, for the most part. As of lately ive noticed my battery getting lower and lower on voltage and whenever it sputters and misses under a cold crank idle i notice my lights dim just a hair slightly, but its getting worse. Now the question is if it is my alternator (which im almost 100% sure it is) would that cause the idle drop and the sputtering and if so why only under a cold crank? not enough voltage to the fuel pump?
Old 11-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: gonna sound dumb....but ill ask

Take it to Autozone and have them test the alternator and battery.
Old 11-25-2010
Registered!!

i can test it myself. I just wanna know if im in the right area or not? The only other issue i can think it would be is out of adjustment on the valves. I do have valve tap Ive went through easily $600 worth of parts and countless nights.....Just wanna end this nightmare.
Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Dimming of the lights during cranking is low voltage from the battery but, if your battery is getting drained then check the alternator. When the alternator doesn't charge right the system pulls voltage from the battery hence a slowly drained battery. Also, it never hurts to look for exposed/broken wires, bad connectors, and bad grounds.
Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

well i knew that. I was just wondering if it could affect the fuel pump or ecu to the point of it causing a miss at cold engine idles and the occasional stall?
Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

Yes, low voltage can cause problems with any and all electrical systems. no voltage= no work

Last edited by lazlong; 11-26-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-26-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Am I missing something.

Your almost a hundred percent sure its your alternator causing the problem, you can check it yourself and you haven't. Go check the alternator and see if its good.
Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

didnt notice the dimming til tonight chief......after it had already been nightfall. kinda hard to diag with no light. Ima dmm test it tomorrow, but what doesnt make sense is that its only on cold cranks though.....once it warms up its ok....
Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

Kinda sounds like a parasitic draw. Check the battery and alternator first then we can diagnose further.

On another note, if it was me I'd pull that b**ch in the garage and check it but, it's 36 degrees outside. That's really cold for a texan. lol
Old 11-26-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by "goose"Jay
didnt notice the dimming til tonight chief......after it had already been nightfall. kinda hard to diag with no light. Ima dmm test it tomorrow, but what doesnt make sense is that its only on cold cranks though.....once it warms up its ok....
Okay, makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

id do that but the garage is already occupied....lol. FLA weather isnt bad we just live kinda on the outskirts so its really dark here. Ive been fighting this car for almost a year. I really dont want to have to do an r&r, but more and more its looking that way. Ima check the voltage tomorrow and check the termostat housing coolant sensor along with the one on the side of the head. Its got to be something stupid, cause its only on a cold engine, after it warms up its ok....idles a little high, but nonetheless no stalling or missing.
Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

High idle could be dirty IACV or throttlebody or most probably a vacuum leak but, I digress. I don't know for sure but, I think you have a heated O2 sensor. It's heated if it's a 4 wire. Check the heater circuit side of the sensor.
Old 11-26-2010
Registered!!

yea im a 4wire setup. iacv fitv and tb were just replaced this week lol
Old 11-27-2010
Registered!!

battery tested at 12.0-12.5 with car off and 14.0-14.5 with it running its charging alright alternator tested ok as well. Put in a new o2 sensor....still no change....idfk anymore lol?