6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Nitemare over heating. Out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarrells is an unknown quantity at this point
Nitemare over heating. Out of ideas

I bought this 99 LX for $800 thinking I was getting a decent work car. I didn’t really check it out other then starting it up and ran great. Later I found out it over heats and after looking more into it I see the heater core was bypassed and the thermostat was removed as well as the coolant fan jumpered to run all the time. I drove it a few times to get it home and had to stop it to cool down and start several times. Anyway after reading a lot of articles and doing more checks I decided to replace the head gasket thinking that combustion was getting into the coolant. Well the gasket was new as well as was the timing belt and water pump. I’m stumped. Only thing I can think is the head and or block may be bad? I have pics of the head and the block. The head seems flat and don’t see any cracks but realize it still may be. The block surface looks suspect and there looks to be corrosion on the outside of cylinder walls and the coolant has white substance too. If it needs an engine that I’ll prolly just part it out but if y’all think I can maybe replace the head gasket again and maybe help me with something I’m over looking. It runs great tho which don’t make sense. Sorry so long but please help.
Block right after I removed head and before I cleaned surface.
White substance in coolant.
More of the corrosion.
Trying to get a shot of the ugly looking coolant and corrosion.
Corrosion I assume. I removed that piece.
Head surface after I cleaned it. Looks good from what I see.
#4 cylinder is chipped as well.
#3 cylinder. Looks like a chip in it.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-07-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,137 Likes on 951 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Nitemare over heating. Out of ideas

that looks like some idiot put stop leak in there,(or maybe used tap water)
you're probably going to have to replace the rad, heater core, some hoses, and anything else coolant touches that you cant get clean, all the water passages in the block need to be cleaned, there might even be chunks stuck in the water pump and thermostat
Old 04-06-2018
Registered!!

What’s the best way to try and clean all that? Them deposits are pretty solid. Have you ever seen one this bad? I’m worried that I might not be able to clean it good enough.
Old 04-06-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,137 Likes on 951 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

i can get those engines for $150 all day, might be the easiest route
Old 04-06-2018
Registered!!

Wow that is cheap. I don’t know if it’s worth the money and work at this point. Is there any chemical that I could put into the system that would help losses this stuff up?
Old 04-06-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You should get the head checked at a shop for flatness. It may look flat but it takes very little variance to cause an issue. That could be why the repair never worked.

I have used ATF and vinegar to clean carbon, rust and general gunk with great results.
Old 04-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I see a blue head gasket
Old 04-07-2018
Registered!!

Yes that’s the gasket that was on it. It’s brand new. The previous owner replaced a lot of things trying to fix the over heating issue it appears.
Old 07-06-2018
Registered!!

eyedocs96 is an unknown quantity at this point

People typically bypass the heater core when it leaks. I would try to go back and add the thermostat and fix the electric fan back to original. Did you verify that coolant was flowing through the system properly? Water pump circulating the coolant? Hoses getting hot? Is there air trapped inside the system? There is a great tool to put on radiator to make sure all air is purged out when running the engine. May need to run a chemical flush as well. Any coolant getting into your oil?