6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Remote starter help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough
Remote starter help

I love doing electrical work by myself and when I bought this Intellistart 4 for my Clifford Concept 100, I knew I was going to have fun. Now I've been working in my car for the last 2 days and have almost everthing wired. The weather's bad and gets dark early so it's taking longer then I was expecting.

I have finally run into a road block though. I need to wire the brake light, reverse light, and tachometer wires yet. I need to find the most convient places to tap these wires. If anyone else has played with remote starters in a 6th gen and know where I can EASILY find these wires, it would be much appreciated.

One last thing. The alarm programs itself the idle speed after a few button presses and I need to know wether the input for the tachometer in the gauge cluster is accurate enough, or should I wire it to something in the engine bay. I have manuals and they have been helping me thus far. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2009
Registered!!

matthufham is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Remote starter help

wire the tach to the lil connector under the hood right between the hood support and hinge. should have 1 blue wire going into it, that's tach signal (-)

brake light, go to the brake pedal and i think gray wire on the switch is it (+ on brake)

reverse... hmm i'm sure i could find one around the shifter but havent looked, could tap it somewhere between the shifter and the back of the car like in the wire harness that runs the length of the car
Old 01-07-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

Hey thanks for your help but I got it all wired now. I would highly recommend to get it installed by professional installers but it is fairly easy to do by yourself. I had one of the more advanced remote starters but all they are is just splicing wires.

Yeah for the tach wire I tapped that one you were talking aboutfor a cleaner look. The reverse light I tapped into the wire coming out of the gear shift and the brake light Just found the wire in the pedal switch. Thanks again though.

Again I strongly recommend getting starters installed by an installer but any questions some has I would gladly help out. I know that some people are determined to do it themselves so instead of killing themselves, I would rather help. Please consider my advice, however.
Old 01-31-2009
Registered!!

cmy_civic is an unknown quantity at this point

i know its been a while since i been on here and since you replied to this post, but did you have any problems with the remote starter itself? my neighbor said that when he put on his remote starter, he been through 5 starters from it!!!!! so i was a bit concerned.
Old 01-31-2009
Registered!!

I personally have never had an issue with any remote starter. My mom had one put in her explorer and hasn't had a problem after about 2 years. I have had mine for only about a month or so and so far no problems, knock on wood, and my buddy just put his in 2 weeks ago. I bought mine from Clifford, who is now owned by Directed, and it fits right into my alarm. My mom's and buddies were both bought from an auto parts store but my mom had her's put in professionally. Only thing I have to say is you get what you pay for. My buddies was 50 bucks and the instructions that came with it were horrible. Where as mine was 100 (msrp over 200) and it had great instructions more features and a knowledgable support staff.

If you want to put one in please make sure you know which wires to tap and that you ask questions if you don't know. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2009
Registered!!

cmy_civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrplow123456
I personally have never had an issue with any remote starter. My mom had one put in her explorer and hasn't had a problem after about 2 years. I have had mine for only about a month or so and so far no problems, knock on wood, and my buddy just put his in 2 weeks ago. I bought mine from Clifford, who is now owned by Directed, and it fits right into my alarm. My mom's and buddies were both bought from an auto parts store but my mom had her's put in professionally. Only thing I have to say is you get what you pay for. My buddies was 50 bucks and the instructions that came with it were horrible. Where as mine was 100 (msrp over 200) and it had great instructions more features and a knowledgable support staff.

If you want to put one in please make sure you know which wires to tap and that you ask questions if you don't know. Good luck.
Oh, yea. Well i guess my friend had installed it wrong or something