7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2002 Civic immobilizer question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chaos2378 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic immobilizer question

Good Morning,

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered before. I read quite a few threads, but all are about the green key light blinking or staying on. My problem is that the car cranks but does not start. There is no green light whatsoever, not when I insert the key, not when I crank, and not when I take the key out. Would it be wise to assume that the immobilizer unit is dead? Would replacing it with a new one off ebay, buying the SBB key programmer, and programming them myself be cheaper than having the dealer do it?

Thank you in advance!
Old 07-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 2002 Civic immobilizer question

Hopefully your ECU popped a fuse, that light is controlled from the computer and if it’s not comming on and your car is cranking but not starting you need to plug a code reader in and see if there is any sign of life.
Old 07-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be wise to assume that
Never.
Test, don't guess.

No flashing green light at all = suspect lost power to the unit. Fuses? Relays?
Does the CEL also no longer light up when you turn the key on? (More clue)
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Hopefully your ECU popped a fuse, that light is controlled from the computer and if it’s not comming on and your car is cranking but not starting you need to plug a code reader in and see if there is any sign of life.
I plugged in my OBD2 reader. It connected fine and showed no codes.

Originally Posted by ezone
Never.
Test, don't guess.

All the normal lights seem to work fine when the key is turned to the on position. The CEL lights up and stays on, which I believe is normal (I'm a Mazda guy and it stays on in those cars).

I began the troubleshooting by checking common causes to the "crank but no start" problem (before I realized the green key light didn't turn on). I checked fuses, changed both blue and brown relays under the glove box, checked rocker arm, and even unplugged battery overnight as a last resort. I'm stuck. Almost as maddening as figuring out the misfire on my RX-8. I will check fuses again to make sure. Does the orange light around the keyhole mean the unit is at least getting power though? Or is that not part of the immobilizer?
Old 07-20-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
I plugged in my OBD2 reader. It connected fine and showed no codes.

Originally Posted by ezone
Never.
Test, don't guess.

All the normal lights seem to work fine when the key is turned to the on position. The CEL lights up and stays on, which I believe is normal (I'm a Mazda guy and it stays on in those cars).

I began the troubleshooting by checking common causes to the "crank but no start" problem (before I realized the green key light didn't turn on). I checked fuses, changed both blue and brown relays under the glove box, checked rocker arm, and even unplugged battery overnight as a last resort. I'm stuck. Almost as maddening as figuring out the misfire on my RX-8. I will check fuses again to make sure. Does the orange light around the keyhole mean the unit is at least getting power though? Or is that not part of the immobilizer?
Old 07-20-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Does the orange light around the keyhole mean the unit is at least getting power though? Or is that not part of the immobilizer?
That's a separate unit.

If you take off the column covers there are 2 green connectors on the 2 units by the keyhole. Immobilizer is the plug with 7 wires

Crappy incomplete diagram courtesy of goggle images

What you can't see here in the immobi CU:

Immobi CU wire #7 is constant power source from fuse #9 in engine compartment
wire #5 directly controls the green key symbol light

Between #2 and IMOCD lies the underdash fusebox

Between #1 and LG3 (logic ground) there are a couple of large harness connectors
Old 07-20-2018

The green key light should blink several times after you turn the ignition off.

If you have constant power to 7, switched power to 6, and good ground on 1 (I know I've seen issues with the ground in the past), and you can make the green light blink by supplying a ground to #5, then the immobi ring should be at fault.

Replacement unit must be programmed.