Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic Will Not Start anymore

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chuyg13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 2001 Civic Will Not Start anymore

Really hoping someone can help me out before I spend money at a dealer. I have a 2001 Honda Civic 1.7L Ex sedan. I was driving it one day when all of a sudden it just shut off on me. The engine died. When this happened the radio remained on and everything that is electrical still worked fine. After a while I managed to start the car and drove back home without any issues. The following day I decided to drive it and see if everything was fine but again out of no where the engine shut off completely like the first time. This time it will not start at all.I have checked the battery and it works fine having its 12v. Took the battery and put it into another car and it made that car start. I have checked the alternators fuse and 80amp and all is well there. All fuses have been checked with meter. Car gets gas as I hear it come on when i turn key. Spark plugs have been replaced 3-4 months prior to this. I know the engine locks if it has no oil but this is not the case. This is what happens when I try to start the car:
I turn key and it sounds like it wants to start but does not. After the first attempt of trying to start the car the green key pops up and stays flashing. I take the key out and it takes off. Put key in and the key light comes on and takes off like it normally does but after I try to crank and fails to start the key comes back on and flashes. Car has no 3rd party alarms and has been in my possession for 3 years and never done this before.
Some say it could be my key or immobilizer so i wanted to know how would I go about checking that or what do you guys think. My key is alone never with other keys or magnets just in case your wondering. Thank you in advance for any suggestions this is literally frustrating me
Old 05-24-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Civic Will Not Start anymore

I have not witnessed an immobilizer problem that would cause a running, driving car to stall on the road.

The green key light is supposed to blink for about 5 seconds AFTER you turn the key OFF.
The green key light should come on for about 3 seconds after you turn the key on, then go out if all is well.
The green key light should not blink rapidly while the key is on.

Turn the key on so the dash lights up but don't crank the engine yet....
Does your green light start blinking after you turn the key on?
Or does it only start blinking when you try to crank it?

I do know the immobilizer and PCM can have communication problems if the battery is weak, even though the battery can still crank the starter and sound ok.

Try using jumper cables to connect the dead car to a running car, see if it will start up that way.
Old 05-25-2014
Registered!!

When you put the key in the green key indicator comes on and goes out after two seconds like it normally does. Which is why i doubt it is the immobilizer. I swapped batteries but still will not start and jumping it does not help either. It cranks but does not want to turn on anymore. Really wish the check engine light would be on so I can pull a code out and not be pulling my hair lol.
Old 05-25-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but after I try to crank and fails to start the key comes back on and flashes.
Hmmm..... I read the first post (above) as it kept flashing the green light while the ignition was still on.

green key indicator comes on and goes out after two seconds like it normally does.
OK so I assume now it's not an immobilizer problem.

Stalled one day, then you got it started again: Did it run poorly at that time? Lack of power?

Now it won't run at all...

Didn't run out of fuel?
Got spark? Compression? Fuel is actually getting injected?
Plugs are wet, or dry?

Check if it jumped time, cam timing/timing belt.
Old 05-26-2014
Registered!!

Yeah sorry wrote that wrong. Yeah it stalled one day and after a while it started like nothing happened. It was in no way lacking power at all. Drove the way it normally does then it did it again this time not ever starting up again.
It has half a tank of gas since I filled it up 3 days prior
sparkplugs are dry with no sign of defect
It cranks but no go. belts are good the only thing is How would I tell if fuel was getting injected. I hear the gas pump(not sure of the name) come on and engage
Old 05-26-2014
Registered!!

By the way thanks for responding and helping me out
Old 05-26-2014

Originally Posted by chuyg13
sparkplugs are dry with no sign of defect
It cranks but no go. belts are good the only thing is How would I tell if fuel was getting injected. I hear the gas pump(not sure of the name) come on and engage
Have you checked for codes? What codes are in the computer?

Have you checked for spark?
Have you checked compression?

The dry spark plug indicates it's not flooded (too much gas in the cylinders), but it could indicate no fuel is getting injected.
I use a test light in an injector connector to see it the computer is working the injectors.
A fuel pressure gauge tells if there is sufficient pressure.
A spray can of carb and throttle cleaner would tell me if the engine isn't getting fuel through the fuel injectors.

Pull the cam sensor connector off and see if it will start.
Pull the valve cover and top timing cover, see if it is out of time.

HTH
Old 05-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

check all of your main ground points, battery terminals tight and clean, ground strap from frame to engine, ground from battery to frame/engine, make sure they are all clean and tight,

next spray carb or throttle cleaner into the throttle body while somebody else cranks the engine, if you have spark you should hear some sign of life
Old 06-01-2014
Registered!!

Ok so first off let me say that i am thank full for everyone who responded and apologize for taking a while to respond. I finally did fix the car and it was an issue with the fuel assembly that houses the fuel pump. It appears that some off the wires from housing. A piece of plastic had also broken of the housing which seems strange.