7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

[SOLVED] Brake lights always on

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
novice121 is an unknown quantity at this point
[SOLVED] Brake lights always on

Hi, so I have a Civic 2001 EX regularly maintained that I don't drive much.

6 days ago I reset the "Maint/Required" successfully following a guide from here. I haven't driven the car since until today a friend comes over and tells me my backlights are lit up.

All switches were off, and emergency brake, I left the car off.

I try to start it but the battery is out, weird thing is, the backlights are still lit up.

So I disconnect the battery, and when I connect it again, the alarm goes off (the alarm stopped working a few years back), and the original key with the button to disable it doesn't work anymore (used to work well in the past), maybe I just need to replace its mini battery for the key.

Anyways, would anyone know why the backlights would lit up for no reason like this? It never happened before.

Also, we didn't want to jump the car with my friend's car in case there was a shortening or something within my car. Don't know if that would help at all, just wanted to be safer and ask first.

Last edited by novice121; 05-05-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: URGENT! Backlights lit up out of nowhere

backlights
Define this word please.

Tail lights?
Brake lights?
Reverse lights?
Just random lights in the rear of the car?
Whut whut?

the alarm goes off (the alarm stopped working a few years back), and the original key with the button to disable it doesn't work anymore (used to work well in the past), maybe I just need to replace its mini battery for the key.
I suppose this is an aftermarket alarm too.
Old 05-04-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Define this word please.

Tail lights?
Brake lights?
Reverse lights?
Just random lights in the rear of the car?
Whut whut?

I suppose this is an aftermarket alarm too.

Sorry, they would be the brake lights, as well as the spoiler light that also lits up with the brakes.

The alarm system should be the original, as I was told when I bought it, but wouldn't know how to check.
Old 05-04-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novice121
Sorry, they would be the brake lights, as well as the spoiler light that also lits up with the brakes.
Set a trash can or something behind the car so you can tell if the lights are on or off. (Or another person with at least one good eye and 2 brain cells.)
Lift the brake pedal with your toe, see if the lights go out.
If so, the switch might just need adjusted.

If the lights still remain lit, the switch could have been knocked out of its mount bracket. Could be bad. Could be a lot of things, all related to the brake light switch.
Stuff your head under the dash to investigate it.
Get a service manual if you need one.

The alarm system should be the original, as I was told when I bought it, but wouldn't know how to check.
What fob does it have?

This type is OEM

Does it have 2 buttons or 3? (not counting the panic button)
Does the 3rd button say OPTION as above, or does it have the pic of a car trunk lid?
Old 05-04-2013
Registered!!

I have an OEM fob as shown, with only 2 buttons.

I have tried lifting and pushing on the break on contact, but the lights remain lit whatsoever, and don't even blink or go off unless we disconnect the battery.

The fob uses a Sony CR2025 battery which I can't replace until tomorrow (just came from Radioshack and CVS/Walgreens, no luck).

Could there maybe something that needs to be reset in the fuse box? Will do more research as we go.

Thanks for your help! Like you said, it could be anything at this point, so hopefully is not so bad.
Old 05-04-2013

I have tried lifting and pushing on the break on contact, but the lights remain lit whatsoever, and don't even blink or go off unless we disconnect the battery.
Stuff your head under the dash, find the brake light switch.
Unplug it. If the lights are off now, then figure out what is wrong with the switch.

A new switch from a dealer should be dang cheap, I show 8.15 (McDoubles, USA) list price

The fob uses a Sony CR2025 battery which I can't replace until tomorrow (just came from Radioshack and CVS/Walgreens, no luck).
Voltmeter check the battery. 3v IIRC. Should say right on the battery.

Does the red LED on the fob light when you push the buttons? Battery is probably ok if it does.

Programming it to the car is simple, DIY

You have an EX, it came from the factory with keyless but not security. Dealer added the security unit. You should have the red LED stuck in the center of the steering column top cover.
You need to read/follow the user manual to figure out how to enable or disable functions on the system.

I bet the system defaulted to original configuration when the battery was disconnected.

Could there maybe something that needs to be reset in the fuse box?
No.
Old 05-04-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Look to see if piece #13 is still attached to the brake pedal. It's a little white plastic piece that pushes against the brake light switch to shut them off when the brakes not depressed. I've seen them rot and break and fall out of the hole. There could be remenants laying on your driver side floor board some where.

Piece #13 below.

Old 05-04-2013

Originally Posted by Matt_75
piece #13
Good call.
Old 05-04-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Good call.
Thanks. I had to reread your posts a few times to make sure you didn't already mention it. It was the first thing that popped in to my head when he said all three brake lights were staying on.
Old 05-04-2013

I saw "all 3 lights on" as "they share the same circuit, so of course they all should be on".

I guess I was expecting that anyone stuffing their head up under the dash should be able to figure out what is wrong just by watching how it operates.... You know, the pedal moves, something has to hit the plunger on the switch body, the plunger opens the switch contacts, etc.
I keep forgetting that I don't think like everyone else.
Old 05-05-2013
Registered!!

Voltmeter check the battery. 3v IIRC. Should say right on the battery.

Does the red LED on the fob light when you push the buttons? Battery is probably ok if it does.

Programming it to the car is simple, DIY

You have an EX, it came from the factory with keyless but not security. Dealer added the security unit. You should have the red LED stuck in the center of the steering column top cover.
You need to read/follow the user manual to figure out how to enable or disable functions on the system.

I bet the system defaulted to original configuration when the battery was disconnected.
This is some nice info, thanks!

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Look to see if piece #13 is still attached to the brake pedal. It's a little white plastic piece that pushes against the brake light switch to shut them off when the brakes not depressed. I've seen them rot and break and fall out of the hole. There could be remenants laying on your driver side floor board some where.

Piece #13 below.

This was exactly it! I would've never thought a switch like that would depend on a piece so fragile and easily wearable 46505-SA5-000 PAD, PEDAL STOPPER

As shown here: [code]http://www.hondapartscheap.com/parts-catalog/honda/civic/2001/2dr-ex/ka4at/chassis/pedal[/code]

However I ordered it from eBay a bit cheaper, and hopefully shipped faster ( I went to a few local junkers and places that sell all kinds of parts but none had it):

[code]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111017685992[/code]

Thanks a lot again, I really appreciated!

Just for kicks, a pic of the ol' retired pedal stopper:

Name:  C8gqCw0.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  151.3 KB