7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Keys Stolen- Need help DIY Locks and Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usadaytrader is an unknown quantity at this point
Keys Stolen- Need help DIY Locks and Key Fob

My house was broken into and they the keys to my 05 Civic. I changed the locks to everything in the house but the Civic. How do I rekey the Civic and get new key fobs? Do I need to reprogram it? I need help because I am on a budget. Can I get the parts from Ebay? Thanks
Old 12-01-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,199 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Keys Stolen- Need help DIY Locks and Key Fob

recommend first going to a dealer to get more info.
the key system was designed and supposed to avoid being easy to use other keys or reprogram...
even service manuals does not give enough info
Old 12-01-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

+1 Honda doesn't release this information to the public for obvious reasons. The only way to change the key is to reprogram the ECU I think, which would mean your car needs to be towed to the dealer if you don't have a spare.

Personally, I'd just get a new key made and add an after market alarm system if your concerned.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-01-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=MindBomber;4502629reprogram the ECU I think,[/QUOTE]

immobilizer would be the manual term, actually.

But yes, the only place OP can go to get keys is the dealer - i had to, to get a spare one.
+1 on the alarm system, good advice
Old 12-01-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
immobilizer would be the manual term, actually.

But yes, the only place OP can go to get keys is the dealer - i had to, to get a spare one.
+1 on the alarm system, good advice
Yes, immobilizer re-flashed. I was trying to think back to the k-swap articles I've read and how they deal with the immobilizer when the ECU is changed..
Old 12-02-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

you could get a copy of the key from the dealership and install a kill switch.

this would mean only you would know where the switch was ans if they came back for your car with the key the ignition wouldn't even have power to start the car.

the downside would be if you have a stock radio.

the stock radio goes into a theift protection mode if disconected from the battery for too long.

so if you install it your self and are able to select just the ignition circuit you'll be ok. but if you just disconect the whole battery with the switch you'll need the code to reprogram the radio each time, or switch to anaftermarket radio.
Old 12-02-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

actually, if he asks for a new key and to delete the current keys from the system, they will be able to open the car, but will not be able to turn the car. Pretty sure my own key can open a few other cars, since the key physical combination is not infinite. the difference is the coded transponder inside the key.
So, new key, delete all other keys from immobilizer and a alarms system for when they try to open car.
Old 09-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b00$t is an unknown quantity at this point

Would def. go to a dealer. There's a chip inside your key that matches with the immobilizer in your cars ecu. The dealer is the only ones who can flash that onto the new key and cut the key. If you buy a key at a Honda dealer they flash it for free as same with the key fab. (In my area they did it for my 01 civic.) It was about $50 for a new set.