7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hi, 2 AC questions, one for 2001 Civic, one for a 1997 Civic, both LX

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chibitulsmecher is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Hi, 2 AC questions, one for 2001 Civic, one for a 1997 Civic, both LX

Hi, 2 AC questions, one for 2001 Civic, one for a 1997 Civic, both LX

1) My 2001 Civic suddenly didn't have AC anymore. I check the fuzes, relays, all OK. I bought a refill kit

http://www.idqusa.com/proddetail.php?prod=345&cat=9

• R-134a with Sub-Zero Synthetic A/C Booster increases cooling capacity by improving lubricity, better heat exchange and overall better efficiency
• Provides up to 18% colder air
Compatible with all PAG and Ester lubricants
• Comes with a reusable recharge hose with in-line low-pressure gauge and Range Finder
• Available in Spanish
• 18 oz.

So I try to fill the AC system, pressure stays at ZERO, it's obvious there is a big leak somewhere. I give. I take the car to my independent mechanic, he tells me I need the Discharge Hose. I pay $176 for diagnostic and one freon refill (which obviously is now all gone).
I order the hose, as soon as the hose comes, I will take the car back to the mechanic, he will install ($$$?, I don't know) but he will not charge me for the refill a second time (he gave me that in writing on the receipt).

Since then I read on various web sites that Honda uses a specific oil, Sp-10, and that some of these after-market refill kits could actually damage the compressor. Is this true? do you think an independent mechanic has this SP-10 oil, is this a common oil, or it's hard to get and most likely he will put some other type of oil and my compressor will be busted next summer?

2) Here is the second question: so I had about 1/2 refill can left from the first car, and decided to check and if necessary, top off the other car (1997 Civic). I adjusted the dial according to the temp outside, checked the pressure, it was in the "V" but on the lower side, so I, like an idiot, decided to top it off (who wouldn't like 18% colder air?). I added some freon, but I didn't see the pressure going up much. Anyway, I stopped and told wife that she should drive the older car (with AC) and I will drive the other car until I fix it.

Now a week later we were driving in the older car together, and when we came to a stop, I heard some noise, like the AC compressor was struggling or something. I stopped the AC and the noise was gone. I asked her if she noticed that before, and she told me it's been doing that the whole week since we switched cars. Damn, I should have throughly tested the car after I refilled the AC and told her to drive.

Now the AC works, the air is in fact very cold, almost too cold to be comfortable, but whenever we come to a red light, the car is idling at a lower RPM (500?) and I hear that noise. if I turn off the AC, the noise is gone and the idle speed goes back up to 700-750 RPM.

I am afraid that I either overfilled the AC, or perhaps there was some oil in the refill can that is incompatible with SP-10 and now I just sentenced the AC Compressor to a slow and painful death,

What do I do? do I let a little freon out, and see if the noise is gone? or take the car to the dealer and tell them to discharge it and recharge it? I already called and they want $158 for a diagnostic fee (and discharge) and $30 for refill. I told them I just need to discharge and refill, but they said no, we have to do a diagnostic... or I ask my independent mechanic (who is going to fix the 2001 Civic as soon as the hose is here) to take a look at the 97 also?