7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just bought a 2001 civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burnze148 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just bought a 2001 civic EX

how do i know if the vtec is working in my car? ive seen that its supposed to make a different sound when it engages but mine sounds the same. the car is manual and all stock, can someone please tell me how im supposed to know if the vtec is working
Old 03-15-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Just bought a 2001 civic EX

When you hear BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHH, the vtec just kicked in, yo.
Old 03-15-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

vtec works off oil pressure. if you have (enough) oil presssure, vtec works
Old 03-15-2010
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

You will not notice the sound difference in a stock SOHC vtec engine... You will have to have an aftermarket intake, and exhaust to be able to barely hear it. The dual overhead cam engine is where you hear the true switch to vtec.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

CoupedUp04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Awjvail
When you hear BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHH, the vtec just kicked in, yo.
word
Old 03-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mr22508
You will not notice the sound difference in a stock SOHC vtec engine... You will have to have an aftermarket intake, and exhaust to be able to barely hear it. The dual overhead cam engine is where you hear the true switch to vtec.
actually the AEM CAI is enough...
To the OP:
Civic EX means you have a 3 valve engine in lower RPM - when it reaches certain RPM, it will change to 4 valve, but there is no change in cam profile. Mileage is great if lower speeds are used, my last long trip of 1200 miles i got my 42 MPG in my 02. Power delivery is not as good as a dual cam with cam profile change, but they will never get 42 MPG. Is it good enough? for my DD? YEAH! have another one for fun anyway!
Did you check it before buying the car?!?!
BTW, congrats for the good choice in buying a civic, zero for research before doing it.
BTW 2: do you want to tell everyone you bought a civic as you stated in the subject?
Old 03-17-2010
HLC
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Civic EX means you have a 3 valve engine in lower RPM - when it reaches certain RPM, it will change to 4 valve, but there is no change in cam profile.
not quite, there is a change in cam profile. the vtec lobe has a larger profile.
Old 03-17-2010
Registered!!

D17cancun is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes there should be a lil bit of buaarrghh but just a lil
of course using a cai and header :d
Old 03-17-2010
HLC
Registered!!

vtec hits when a large VTEC!!! starts flashing on screen. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_R_w3AB288
Old 03-17-2010
Registered!!

burnze148 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok thanks, ya i did do some research on the car but not on the vtec. i didn't really care for it until my friend wanted to race me. whats the best Cold air intake i could get for it so i could maybe hear the vtec kick?
Old 03-17-2010
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HLC
not quite, there is a change in cam profile. the vtec lobe has a larger profile.
Umm.. not quite. VTEC-e works a little differently. Before vtec, one valve opens on a lower cam and only opens half way-ish. The other opens normally. When vtec engages, the rockers lock together and both cams ride on the 'normal' profile. It's not like the older true vtec where the rockers lock together and sit up on an even higher lobe.

Originally Posted by burnze148
ok thanks, ya i did do some research on the car but not on the vtec. i didn't really care for it until my friend wanted to race me. whats the best Cold air intake i could get for it so i could maybe hear the vtec kick?
Do NOT.. I repeat.. NOT spend ridiculous amounts of money on a CAI for your car. They are next to useless to begin with and you won't see very large gains. Pick up a cheap ebay CAI and get an AEM dry-flow filter that fits it. Piping is piping and AEM's name stamped on it will not give you any more horsepower than some no-name piping. AEM's filter is the only piece of the intake that is really better than any other brand. This should all cost less than ~$75.
Old 03-17-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HLC
OK, i stand corrected, there is no change to cam profile in one of the intake valves, BUT the other intake valve goes from a very small profile to the higher profile, so correctly speaking it have a cam profile change in ONE valve (which is the reason of my mistake).
therefore it will go from a "3 valves that is almost 4 valves" to a full 4 valves, accordingly to this thread. Sorry, HLC, your note is correct in the grammar side (and to the reader understanding, so it is good point).
WARNING NOTE: keep to the first page only, the other pages shows only bickering after bickering from 4dr...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...explained.html
wuuuf! think this explains.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-17-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by baron340
Do NOT.. I repeat.. NOT spend ridiculous amounts of money on a CAI for your car. They are next to useless to begin with and you won't see very large gains. Pick up a cheap ebay CAI and get an AEM dry-flow filter that fits it. Piping is piping and AEM's name stamped on it will not give you any more horsepower than some no-name piping. AEM's filter is the only piece of the intake that is really better than any other brand. This should all cost less than ~$75.
True, you will get what? 5 ponies if your engine is in great condition? I guess the intake will have more to offer if the rest of your engine is prepared to make full use of it... Also, you get in troubles for the noise... I know, i ran it with a stock exhaust so i could choose to be noisy (higher RPM) or silent (lower RPM), until i installed the progress RSB (muffler did interfere with the bar and i was forced to use a smaller muffler). BUT CAI ARE noisy.
BTW, burnze148, for what purpose do you want to hear the V-TEC? D17's are not really fast... better than the other SOHC, though, and still capable of 42MPG in highways like mine.
Remember that a SOHC will never "sing" like a DOHC...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-17-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by burnze148
and aside that the CAI will not make you any faster, look if there are any autoX (SCCA?) around your area, it's safer, legal (not on the streets), and you and you will get faster, not just noisy. And CAI will put you out of the stock classes.
Old 03-18-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

you ever tried running a d16y8 ecu on a vtece motor lol it feel like you hit a brick when the vtec is suppose to kick on