7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Mechanic/Dealer at a loss - 02 civic cranks but will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yossi is an unknown quantity at this point
Mechanic/Dealer at a loss - 02 civic cranks but will not turn over

Sometimes it will start 50 times in a row, other times it will crank and crank but not start. The engine is spinning during the crank because power steering is working. Charging system is fine. Fuel is fine. Spark is fine. Nothing showing up on the scanner, no CEL, not throwing any codes. Computer tests fine.. On a hunch, replaced the crank sensor, but no luck. Local mechanic is best in the town and cannot figure out. Had it towed to the dealer, worked on it for a few hours, cannot find anything. Really hoping for any creative thinking here so I don't have to junk her.
Old 01-25-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mechanic/Dealer at a loss - 02 civic cranks but will not turn over

Toss a pair of fresh main relays at it?
Old 01-26-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Did you try disconnecting the crank sensor and seeing if it starts up?
Old 01-26-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

That's a somewhat common issue on the 2002.

It happens on mine as well, its something to do with the anti theft immobilizer, I think.

Mine works 100% of the time if I turn the key until i hear the pump prime, then off, then same position, wait until you hear the pump, then start.

You could also check your immobilizer antenna for loose connections.

Old 01-26-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like many of the cars want an extra second or two of cranking when the fuel level is 1/4 tank or less