7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

shifter feels very clunky anything I can do ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
batman900 will become famous soon enough
shifter feels very clunky anything I can do ??

Its been like this since I baught the car especially when cold the shifter acts like a bitch. I recently got a Revo short shifter installed which helped a lot at first for some reason but now that its broken in its just the same thing. Also ive tried shifting at all different rpms low to high and have had the car for over 2 years, its just really starting to get to me. First gear is the worst btw.

Ty for help and replys. its an 03 ex coupe 53k miles and i knew how to drive a standard before buying it.
Old 04-05-2009
Registered!!

otbexige is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: shifter feels very clunky anything I can do ??

What's clunky mean?

Check the clutch pedal height perhaps to ensure that it is within spec. You could also change the tranny fluid and make sure that all the cables to the shifter are tightened to spec.
Old 04-06-2009
Registered!!

sry it was the only would I could think of to describe it. for example when its cold i actually have to put a bit of force into pulling it into the next gear, also even with the clutch pedal pushed all the way down it may grind some in the lower gears. This does not happen in the summer but in sub 55ish degrees F it will.
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have a weighted shift ****? I just got one today, and it feels smoother.
Old 04-09-2009
Registered!!

No I havent its just the stock ****, if you could recomend me one id be happy to put it on order, im willing to try almost anything because it makes me dread driving. Btw if its a ball **** that would rock becasue i have big hands.

Ty
Old 04-10-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

There are many shift *****. I got the Blox shift **** due to the price and weight. It was $50CDN and it weighed 450g. Other similar popular shift ***** are the MFactory **** weighing 410g, and Skunk2 **** at 440g. I would like to get a TWM ****, but those are about $100US, weighing in at a whopping 600g.
Old 04-12-2009
Registered!!

otbexige is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got an actual OEM Integra Type R **** and love it.

However, if your problem only happens when its cold, it may need a tranny fluid change. It prolly gets better as the car heats up and runs longer in the cold weather. Could be clutch related also. Check the small basic stuff first to rule it out. Then move on to the bigger PITA things and hope for the best.
Old 04-14-2009
Registered!!

Orderd the skunk 2 and it should be here tommarow, along with some black sparco floor mats because mine are stained and they didnt cost much more than wally world :P

But yes your right if I let my car heat up for say 15min it will shift smooth as ever. I think ill get the trans fluid changed and just pray its not the clutch. I rather it be the tranny than clutch I have an extended warentee for that.
Old 04-14-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

The clutch is part of the tranny, so hopefully its covered under your warranty.

Buy this.. http://www.strutking.com/rsx/shifter...s/prod_25.html

They replace the rubber bushings that connect your shifter cables to your transmission. The stock rubber bushings can crack and dry out and shrivel up and all that bad stuff. These are CNC'd out of aluminum and are a quick install. They will put the precision back into your shifts.
Old 04-14-2009
Delightfully tacky. Yet unrefined

m3gach33zy is an unknown quantity at this point

those bushings are awesome. I just got a revo SS and those same bushings. The feeling of each shift is 100% better
Old 04-16-2009
Registered!!

TY for the link, I have the revo SS also. Btw just installed the skunk 2 shifter and it made a world of difference!! shifts are so easy now!

Quick question tho kinda off topic. Ive had an ilignment done recently and my wheel is still off, I took the car back 2 times to firestone and they said its good but the wheel is still off??? any ideas?? I heard about those front bushings going bad could that be doing it? I dont have a pop or anything. And should I go ahead and spend the money to be safe and install those cllutch bushings? or just save my cash?

Ty again guys. "EDIT" btw how did u get your leather boot to stay up with an after market shift **** ??

Last edited by batman900; 04-16-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2009
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Installing the shifter bushings above the transmission will improve the shiftting feel even more, but do nothing for your wheel.

What are the specs of your alignment that they did? They should have printed off a liust of camber, and toe and all that good stuff and handed it to you when the alignment was done. Put your steering wheel in the TDC position... which wheel looks like it is off and how? Is it toed in (front of tire pointing toward center of car) or is it toed out (front of tire pointing away from the car) or is it a camber issue (negative camber = top of tire tucked inside, positive camber = top of tire pointing outside of wheel well). Effectively at 0 degrees camber the tire should be sitting perpendicular to the street with and not leaning intoward the car or out away from it.. with 0 degrees toe the tire should be inline with the body pointing directly forward.

That being said, what are you dropped on, if anything... Do your have pillow ball mounts and do you have a camber kit in the front and rear?
Old 04-16-2009
Registered!!

Sry on that paticular question I was talking about the front end bushings that everyone says goes out on civics. As for the wheel I should have specified it is my steering wheel thats off, it wants to sit turned a bit to the left all the time. on a hard right leaning road it might be straight. Also after inspecting the outside wheels the rear seem to be in a bit at the top but not very badly and I dont see much off in the front.

The sheet they gave me showed everything in the green area but it lost it so cant give exact numbers. Its defenintly off by a good bit though and its very anoying. Ive lived with it for a long time. Think I should get an alignment at a different shop?

btw the suspension and stuff is all stock. ty for replys
Old 04-16-2009
Premium Member

Go to an alignment shop that will put that thing on your steering wheel to keep it straight.

Let me think this one out.. There are two possible senerios:
First could be that your passenger tire is toe out, so to get the car to go straight you have to **** the steering wheel to the left and the tires are trying to drive away from eachother. ORRRR.... Second, your drivers tire is toe in.. and your have to **** the wheel to the left to make it go straight and the tires are effectively driving inward toward eachother.

Either way your issue is toe... which looking back on your alignment specs would give some slight insight to, but alignments change over time.

Toe I believe is changed by screwing in and out the tie rod on the steering rack.
Old 04-16-2009
Premium Member

Go to an alignment shop that will put that thing on your steering wheel to keep it straight.

Let me think this one out.. There are two possible senerios:
First could be that your passenger tire is toe out, so to get the car to go straight you have to **** the steering wheel to the left and the tires are trying to drive away from eachother. ORRRR.... Second, your drivers tire is toe in.. and your have to **** the wheel to the left to make it go straight and the tires are effectively driving inward toward eachother.

Either way your issue is toe... which looking back on your alignment specs would give some slight insight to, but alignments change over time.

Toe I believe is changed by screwing in and out the tie rod on the steering rack.
Old 04-16-2009
Registered!!

Ok so they probably just did a junk alignment then and didnt fix anything. After my third time complaining they moved my tires around, checked them and so on but nothing changed. The local firestone has been getting complaints though recently. Ill try a local shop that has good people then. Darn expensive alignments, will be worth it though to drive straight.

Ty for your info