7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tranny oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redem is an unknown quantity at this point
tranny oil

hey guys, i've done a search and didn't find any diy on manual tranny oil change, can someone help me?
thanks
Old 09-05-2008
Registered!!

Protan988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: tranny oil

Manual transmission fluid is supposed to be changed every 96,000km from Honda's recomendations. Use Honda manual transmission fluid only. Make sure you find the right stuff.
Old 09-05-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Jack the car up. You should recognize the oil pan and the bolt that you remove for your oil changes. Locate your transmission, on the passenger side of em2's and es1/2's. On the transmission there is a bolt which will drain the oil. Its not directly on the bottom of the transmission, its just an inch or two above the bottom, this is to hold some fluid in the transmission no matter what- say you have a tranny fluid leak, you dont wanna run empty on that stuff, at least you'll have a little in there that will help you hold off on running your transmission. Pretty much drain it, and rebolt it. further up on the tranny you'll see another bolt that you will use to fill the transmission. This is in a really awkward spot and you'll need a funnel with a flexable tube attached to it. If I remember correctly, if you follow the fluid amounts exactly, you will be right at the level of the fill bolt. It you put just a few ounces more in, you'll have some spill out of the fill hole. Once filled, put the bolt back in, and check the torque on both of them. Start the car, idle for a minute, and go for a drive, starting off slow so your gears can become coated.
Old 09-05-2008
Registered!!

redem is an unknown quantity at this point

sweet thanks a lot!!!
Old 09-06-2008
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

So whats the difference between using mtf versus 5w-30 oil in the tranny? I believe Honda says oil can be used in emergencies. How long would oil last versus transmission fluid?
Old 01-17-2009
Registered!!

usmcdevilmp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
So whats the difference between using mtf versus 5w-30 oil in the tranny? I believe Honda says oil can be used in emergencies. How long would oil last versus transmission fluid?
Uh the difference is its for an emergency....so instead of doing it twice, do it once the right way.

And for how long it would last, Id say 3000mi hahaha.....
Old 01-19-2009
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usmcdevilmp
Uh the difference is its for an emergency....so instead of doing it twice, do it once the right way.

And for how long it would last, Id say 3000mi hahaha.....
I don't need you preaching to me and your 3000 mile guess seems a little flimsy.
Old 01-19-2009
Registered!!

matt35foley will become famous soon enough

Go to the dealer and ask for the Honda Genuine Transmission fluid that they use in the s2000, it should have a green label and say "advanced protection" or something like that. You will notice much smoother shifts.

Last edited by matt35foley; 01-19-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-19-2009
Registered!!

usmcdevilmp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
I don't need you preaching to me and your 3000 mile guess seems a little flimsy.
It wasnt a guess, it was a joke.....3k mi/3 month oil change...