7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

04 Civic Axle Back Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monkeydude3 is an unknown quantity at this point
04 Civic Axle Back Questions

Okay so I have a 2004 Civic 4 door, LX 5 speed. 1.7L.

I have been just looking around tryin to see about something to get for the exhaust to give it some tone (hopefully deep) but no raspy ricey stuff. I'd prefer to not have a huge fart can looking thing either. An oval type near stock style muffler would be nice.

What I'm goin for, is my buddy has a 1991 Accord LX, 2.2L 5 speed. All he has done is a magnaflow muffler at the tip. He chopped off the stock one and bolted this one on. It has a great deep sound but when you are cruising it's barely noticeable in the volume sense, but you get a nice rumble as you are rollin. It doesn't even look like a fart can either.

I have been looking at these, because I do not want to cut my muffler and I would like to just swap out the tip in case I ever trade the car back in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...WDVWQQtcZphoto

Any input let me know, like bumper clearance, etc etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-18-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: 04 Civic Axle Back Questions

if u dont want a fart can, dont buy that its 4.5" at the back.... i bought the flowmaster axleback, its about 220 bucks from summit, and has a nice quiet sound, but better than stock, while still looking somewhat stock, and with the sedan, ur gonna have to trim the bumper no matter what u buy, they just dont fit well, nothing u buy will sound very loud on ur car because of the resonator, many of the aftermarket mufflers are bolt on, just gotta do some research, but its gonna cost u no matter what u do, just dont buy from ebay, its just not good quality
Old 10-18-2007
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, that muffler is definitely a fart can. Out of curiosity, what do you think a fart can is?
Old 10-18-2007
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

this is a fart can:

Old 10-18-2007
Registered!!

I'm sorry I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Like I know those are fart can type, but I just like that "style" in that they have the flange and are a bolt on part, IE I don't have to slice off my old muffler...

I have always liked flowmasters on just about anything.

How much do you have to trim the muffler and what would you recommend I use to do it so it looks right?

And by fart can I just mean the rediculously large tips. My buddy's magnaflow muffler looks almost stock and it just has a bit more rumble.

Thanks guys!

Sorry if I have left some stuff out. I've had a long few weeks here and I'm tired as hell.
Old 10-18-2007
Banned

here its only listed for the 01-02, but u get the idea, no cutting, no welding, no clamps, two screws, and two hangers, 10 minutes
Old 10-18-2007
Banned

i think they are all the same, summitracing.com has it for the best price, i just looked up the diagrams for the 01 compared to the 04 and there isnt any difference, so u should be good with the flowmaster if u wanted, i have two, one on my es1 and one on my em2, mines loud cuz i dont have a cat or resonator, but my fiances em2 is pretty quiet, sounds good with the intake tho, and it looks pretty much stock
Old 10-18-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by monkeydude3
I'm sorry I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Like I know those are fart can type, but I just like that "style" in that they have the flange and are a bolt on part, IE I don't have to slice off my old muffler...

I have always liked flowmasters on just about anything.

How much do you have to trim the muffler and what would you recommend I use to do it so it looks right?

And by fart can I just mean the rediculously large tips. My buddy's magnaflow muffler looks almost stock and it just has a bit more rumble.

Thanks guys!

Sorry if I have left some stuff out. I've had a long few weeks here and I'm tired as hell.

ok man now youre just getting confusing... 4.5" is rediculously large.. 4" is enough.. and for most people, more than enough. I dont understand what you mean trim the muffler.. your muffler is the big oval part at the end of your exhaust with a tip sticking out the back of your bumper... thats what your muffler is.. if you want an axleback exhaust.. you dont have to weld anyhting, you just disconnect (for lack of better word) from the AXLE AND BACK of your ehxuast system.. then connect the AXLE-BACK exhaust to where u disconnected it from. it wont be a full cat-back exhaust but it will be just enough for a nice change in sound.. or you can go full exhaust and still get a great sound. the RSR-Exmag looks very OEM and has a beautiful sound to it... and thats a full cat-back system.. if you dont want a fart can then stay away from ebay exahust systems... 4.5 is way too big trust me.. if you dont want a ridiculously large exhaust, go for something under 4..like way under 4 lol.. anymore questions? greddy makes another smaller tip exhaust that sounds decent... or u can just get the axleback off of an 04 or 05 acura rsx-s...
Old 10-18-2007
Banned

here is what it looks like on my es1, it does stick out a little bit, but tip is small enough to look almost stock
Old 10-18-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DsevenEm2
ok man now youre just getting confusing... 4.5" is rediculously large.. 4" is enough.. and for most people, more than enough. I dont understand what you mean trim the muffler.. your muffler is the big oval part at the end of your exhaust with a tip sticking out the back of your bumper... thats what your muffler is.. if you want an axleback exhaust.. you dont have to weld anyhting, you just disconnect (for lack of better word) from the AXLE AND BACK of your ehxuast system.. then connect the AXLE-BACK exhaust to where u disconnected it from. it wont be a full cat-back exhaust but it will be just enough for a nice change in sound.. or you can go full exhaust and still get a great sound. the RSR-Exmag looks very OEM and has a beautiful sound to it... and thats a full cat-back system.. if you dont want a fart can then stay away from ebay exahust systems... 4.5 is way too big trust me.. if you dont want a ridiculously large exhaust, go for something under 4..like way under 4 lol.. anymore questions? greddy makes another smaller tip exhaust that sounds decent... or u can just get the axleback off of an 04 or 05 acura rsx-s...

Okay I am sorry... forget all that... I must be more tired than I thought.

i just am looking for a good axle-back that gives me a bit more sound but isn't too raspy. I used those ebay kits as a reference for the bolt up style I am looking for.

So you are saying the 01-02 axle back summit has will fit my 04? So you sure they didn't change the pipes for my year? Thanks!

As for trimming, i meant the bumper... ugh...

I need a vacation...
Old 10-19-2007
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Hey green... Can you take some more pictures of the Flowmaster? From the looks of that picture it sticks out way too much. I was almost sold on getting a Flowmaster but I didnt realize they stuck out so far. Have some rep to encourage pictures.

Edit: I have given you too much rep. *Sigh*
Old 10-19-2007
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice

antyhing for like 40 something bucks is def just a pipe and a canister with steel wool stuffed inside it and its gonna rasp all the way everywhere. i'd suggest the magnaflow or HKS

http://robearracing.com/pd_hks_hipow...civic_0103.cfm

magnaflow and the A'Pexi WS II i believe are the quietest for our cars but sounds really nice. I did the magnaflow muffler with a 2.5" custom full exhaust and a catco hiflow cat. sounds very nice.
Old 10-20-2007
Registered!!

seadoo2006 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by greeen01civic4d
this is a fart can:

I think that could be the funniest thing i have seen all right....major props for that one....

Anyways, I don't mean to commandeer the subject, but are there any Euro-style exhaust systems for the civic....i *hate* the 3"+ tips and the fart can sound. My friend has an '01 Jetta VR6 with a Magnaflow cat-back dual 2" tip and it sounds godly.....i just want a cat-back that sounds nice and doesn't get me high-fives from the local ricer population
Old 10-20-2007
Registered!!

I know I was just using that kit as a reference! It was the only one I could find that was just a bolt on axle back.

Thanks for the link. That would explain why my buddy's accord sounds so good, it is a genuine magnaflow muffler.

Is there any large difference in sound between a 1.7L and a 2.2? Maybe my engine is smaller and as such i can only get it to sound so deep?

Originally Posted by cwo715
antyhing for like 40 something bucks is def just a pipe and a canister with steel wool stuffed inside it and its gonna rasp all the way everywhere. i'd suggest the magnaflow or HKS

http://robearracing.com/pd_hks_hipow...civic_0103.cfm

magnaflow and the A'Pexi WS II i believe are the quietest for our cars but sounds really nice. I did the magnaflow muffler with a 2.5" custom full exhaust and a catco hiflow cat. sounds very nice.