8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Civic Si to Civic engine swap; is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RegularCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Civic Si to Civic engine swap; is it possible?

To some of you, this may be the stupidest thing you've ever read. But please hear me out.

A friend of mine owns a 2012 Civic EX sedan. Since I'm the car guy out of my group of friends, he's been talking to me as to how he could make his car more powerful. He was wondering if an engine swap with a Civic Si would be possible. While I would call myself a car guy, I only know the stuff you read in a car brochure, and very little about the actual mechanical components.

So what I'm asking: is it possible to swap a Civic Si engine into a regular Civic? Why am I asking this? My friend is 17, just got a his first car (a few months ago) and it's automatic. Go figure. His mom wouldn't let him get manual. Since Si's are always manual I thought it'd be impossible to put an Si engine in. It might sound stupid. I don't know. I'm mostly clueless on how engines work and such.

Also, please don't answer with something like "just buy a Si instead'. If that we're an option, we'd have done that. We lack money for that and like I said, his mom doesn't let him have a manual car; at least as long as he's in her house.

Whatever. Please just tell me if it'd be possible. If it's not, just say so. I just want a straight answer if it's possible, how much it'd cost and how exactly we would go about doing this.

I'm new here, so I don't know how this works but yeah. Please help.
Old 08-10-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Civic Si to Civic engine swap; is it possible?

With enough understanding of mechanical systems and a 100% complete donor car it is possible. It will also require a good supply of tools and access to the equipment required to program keys since you will need the PCM from the Si to run the engine and it stores the immobilizer codes.

This is not a project for a first timer. Even the auto to manual swap takes a good grounding in mechanical systems. Throwing in the engine swap as well further complicates issues.

The project cost will mostly depend upon how much money the donor parts car would cost. This isn't a weekend project unless you are very experienced in how the cars are put together.

To make matters worse: the 2012-2015 civic Si's aren't exactly common or plentiful. It wasn't a very popular generation of cars compared to the 2006-2011 cars.

Honestly if I was looking to make a 2012 civic faster with an engine swap I would be looking more towards getting a wrecked 2013-2017 accord 4 cylinder with cvt trans. Those cars are common and frequently on Ebay for $4-5,000 with an intact powertrain. An instant 190 hp with a CVT that drives like an automatic and no pedals need to be added. You might even see a fuel economy increase with the 2.4 when driven efficiently, it is currently rated at 37 MPG on the highway in the much larger/heavier accords. And having driven those accord on trips, they can see 38 mpg at speeds of 75 mph.

I re-read the post and think I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Do you want to hook the SI engine to the EX trans? That is not possible. The SI is a "K" series engine and the 1.8 is a "R" series engine, they are not related.

Last edited by mcnoople; 08-10-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-12-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Get your buddy to save up some money for a fast car and sell that thing.

...unless he really loves it... and wants to spend over $5000.
Old 06-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unixslayer is an unknown quantity at this point

If you install Iridium IX
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs

A JDM Catback muffler system

and a K&N and cleaner system

I also installed on all four wheels Powerstop disc brakes, Drilled, and slotted rotors with ceramic disc brake pads.

You will gain 25 to 35 more horsepower.

I did it on my 2006 Honda Civic LX, and the car is pretty quick.

Last edited by Unixslayer; 06-21-2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 06-22-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Unixslayer

and a K&N and cleaner system

I also installed on all four wheels Powerstop disc brakes, Drilled, and slotted rotors with ceramic disc brake pads.

I did it on my 2006 Honda Civic LX, and the car is pretty quick.
not gonna happen
Old 06-22-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Won't add hp or toque

Possibly adds 3-5 hp at most (if any at all)

a K&N and cleaner system

Won't add hp or toque

Probably little to no gain in stopping power compared to stock

Have real pre and post dyno results or are you going by your derriere-dyno?