General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Problem with newly installed oil pressure gauge??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicex2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Problem with newly installed oil pressure gauge??

I just had an autoguage oil pressure guage installed. When I am at a cruising speed the guage reeds anywhere from 70 if I am accelerating to 30-40 if I am cruising. BUT, when I stop at a light and it idles it drops to about 10 and the warning light on the guage flashes. The weird thing is the guage is in kg/cm instead of PSI. Did the shop sell me the wrong guage or is my cars pressure all messed up. There is no leaks I have already checked.

Thanks!!
Old 04-20-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The variation of pressure is correct... at idle, it should be about 20PSI, cruising, between 50 and 75 and about 95 on the redline. All those are in PSI... and you need to check those values, or the units... because 70 kg/cm^2 is almost 1000 psi. Do you know how it was installed, and where it was plumbed into the oil system? If the idiot light is on in the dash (assuming whoever installed the new gauge left the sender in, and they should have) is on, then you have a problem. If that's off, then there's no problem with the oil system and the gauge just has a pre-set limit in it to trip the light. What brand is Autogauge anyways??? Do you mean Autometer?

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 04-20-2003 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2003
Registered!!

Yes auto guage, I guess is like the cheaper division of autometer. I just dont know how it was installed I think they removed the factory light, beaseu It has not come on. I just dont think the particulat guage that I have is measured in PSi beaseu of the km/cm next to the dial. Just seemed odd to me.
Old 04-20-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
If the factory sender was removed... the Check Engine light or the oil light would probably be on. If you can, take a picture of the gauge face and post it... if you have even more time, jack the car up, look up the back of the engine block above the oil filter (you may have to remove it) and see if there is still a shrouded plug with a wire going into it... that's the factory sensor. if not, see if there is a line plumbed into the port that is there, trace it to where it ends and look at what is attached. If it was done right, there should be the gauge sender and the factory sender, both should be wired. Also, figure out what the hose is made out of.... if they used rubber hose, it'll explain the low pressure readings and the tripping of the light... because the rubber hose expands under pressure. If it's rubber, go back and give them **** until they replace it with a stainless braided one that won't stretch. I suppose there is also the possibility that you have a water pressure gauge for the coolant system, but that's not likely.
Old 04-20-2003
Registered!!

Yeah its a blue rubber hose, back to the guage. I am going to have to get it replaced with a stainless braided one. Is there a universal part # for it or are they guage specific?
Old 04-20-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Call Jegs High Performance, buy these items:

361981604- AN -4 to 1/8" Straight Adapter $1.99
361982304- AN -4 to 1/8" 45 Degree Adapter $6.49
361300104- AN -4 Auto-Fit Hose Ends 2 @ $5.99 ea
361303004- AN -4 Auto-Flex Hose 3' Long $14.99
1-800-345-4545 is the number

Either that, or tell the shop to plumb it with AN-4 Stainless lines and fittings.