General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Apex Update for V-Afc

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Apex Update for V-Afc

I went to www.apexiusa.com or whatever the page is and I found that they made an update for 2001 civic. There is a diagram for the correct hook up![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Anyways can anyone tell me what all this stuff on V-Afc does. I am trying to figure it out but no luck. Or i should just go to Dyno place and they will set it up the best way. I am runing like a 65 shoot of n20 so I realy do not know what to change on throtle and all the other stuff. What setup do you guys have on V-afc?? Did u touch the fuel map??
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

mwwhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
i cant seem to find it...a direct link would be WONDERFUL
Old 10-23-2002
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Direct linky for the .pdf! (Make sure you have Adobe Acrobat installed)

edit: Now that we think we know where to hook up for VTEC, would buying the V-AFC still be a wise purchase? It's very tempting, espically if I can tune my VTEC to kick in at like 4200 RPMs.
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

i am so tempted to whip out my CC and buy a V-AFC, it is just so damn cool looking, and it would be nice to be able to adjust the VTEC engagement points and such.

mark
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
I bought one knowing that APEXi would be able to get it going. I love that thing
Old 10-23-2002
THE WOP

vincenzobar is an unknown quantity at this point
would it be worth it to purchase this for a lightly tuned engine. ie. Exhuast system and fuel upgrades.
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

BumpinCivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
sweeeet... does anyone know a good place to buy one of these things online? for a good price, of course [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
[hr]Originally posted by: taz757

edit: Now that we think we know where to hook up for VTEC, would buying the V-AFC still be a wise purchase? It's very tempting, espically if I can tune my VTEC to kick in at like 4200 RPMs. [hr]
I don't know about you but I have an EX and my VTEC now kicks in at around 4200, wouldnt you want to change that instead of keeping it the same?

Old 10-23-2002
APS
Registered!!

APS is an unknown quantity at this point
I can get them. Anyone interested?
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

NBPCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
how much
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

dmak is an unknown quantity at this point
well......yeah......how much for it?
Old 10-23-2002
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
[hr]Originally posted by: IDQcivic

edit: Now that we think we know where to hook up for VTEC, would buying the V-AFC still be a wise purchase? It's very tempting, espically if I can tune my VTEC to kick in at like 4200 RPMs. [hr]
I don't know about you but I have an EX and my VTEC now kicks in at around 4200, wouldnt you want to change that instead of keeping it the same?[hr]
I thought VTEC kicked in closer to 5000. Oops. Guess I was wrong. I can't really feel VTEC other than hear some more noise anyway.
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

Quiksilver09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok I have the V-AFC and yes I find it worthwhile. I had the v-tec hooked up before they put that info out and well it works don't adjust it to ungodly levels but that's up to you to find out I have mine set at 3700 and then my throttle settings set up. The extra fuel seems to really help the enigne along especially when the v-tec kicks in. If you have questions on how I have mine tuned feel free to email me. Or if you buy and need help installing. I paid 300 for mine shipped off ebay from a guy who was selling like 20 of em.
Old 10-23-2002
Registered!!

xblkcivicx is an unknown quantity at this point

The V-afc is not a toy...you should go to a dyno to tune it..and there is absolutly no need to have it if you have basic bolt ons e.i I/H/E...your stock ecu will take care of those changes...the V-acf would be good if you had a cam, nitrous(not very efficent) or anything that would boost your HP significantly...to move your vtec around will only hurt your performance...the vtec crossover should be set where your Horsepower and Torque meet i.e needing a dyno...if your running nitrous with it you can set your full throttle fuel map to compensate for the added air but you still need a dyno to tune it...over all not worth the 300 bucks to look nice on your dash...unless you have the mod's that it would be usefull for...
Old 10-24-2002
Registered!!

MyCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't email you, the thingy is not working. So you can guys either post how you are running your V-afc or mail it to me at marcinswi20@aol.com. I have IHE, 63 shoot of N20 and V-afce of course[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]. So how does your fuel map look like? Your Throtle? and all the other stuff.
Old 10-24-2002
Roy
Registered!!

Roy is an unknown quantity at this point
has anyone heard of the field's vtec controller? any thoughts?
Old 10-24-2002
Registered!!

Quiksilver09 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: xblkcivicx

The V-afc is not a toy...you should go to a dyno to tune it..and there is absolutly no need to have it if you have basic bolt ons e.i I/H/E...your stock ecu will take care of those changes...the V-acf would be good if you had a cam, nitrous(not very efficent) or anything that would boost your HP significantly...to move your vtec around will only hurt your performance...the vtec crossover should be set where your Horsepower and Torque meet i.e needing a dyno...if your running nitrous with it you can set your full throttle fuel map to compensate for the added air but you still need a dyno to tune it...over all not worth the 300 bucks to look nice on your dash...unless you have the mod's that it would be usefull for...[hr]
Yeah by the way I'd definately listen to xblkcivicx he's dead on on that part of it. It's not a toy. I used the settings boosted posted and then talked to a couple people that are wizzes at tuning cars and addons such as that to get my final settings. If you "play around with the setting" you can seriously screw up your car
Old 10-24-2002
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
[hr]Originally posted by: Quiksilver09

The V-afc is not a toy...you should go to a dyno to tune it..and there is absolutly no need to have it if you have basic bolt ons e.i I/H/E...your stock ecu will take care of those changes...the V-acf would be good if you had a cam, nitrous(not very efficent) or anything that would boost your HP significantly...to move your vtec around will only hurt your performance...the vtec crossover should be set where your Horsepower and Torque meet i.e needing a dyno...if your running nitrous with it you can set your full throttle fuel map to compensate for the added air but you still need a dyno to tune it...over all not worth the 300 bucks to look nice on your dash...unless you have the mod's that it would be usefull for...[hr]
Yeah by the way I'd definately listen to xblkcivicx he's dead on on that part of it. It's not a toy. I used the settings boosted posted and then talked to a couple people that are wizzes at tuning cars and addons such as that to get my final settings. If you "play around with the setting" you can seriously screw up your car[hr]
thats why im not getting one.. but i want one so bad! detroit needs a really good import tuning shop
Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
I got mine for 300.00 and im having the Honda dealership i bought my car at tune it for me..i get it cheap since they have somewhat sponsered my car [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] let you know my settings as soon as i do
Old 10-25-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I'm trying to sell my venom 400, if anyone wants it $200 shipped! I'll probably get a apexi VAFC once people get the right settings figured out and find out if it works with the VTEC since we have the right wiring diagram for our cars.
Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

[hr]The V-afc is not a toy...you should go to a dyno to tune it..and there is absolutly no need to have it if you have basic bolt ons e.i I/H/E...your stock ecu will take care of those changes...the V-acf would be good if you had a cam, nitrous(not very efficent) or anything that would boost your HP significantly...to move your vtec around will only hurt your performance...the vtec crossover should be set where your Horsepower and Torque meet i.e needing a dyno...if your running nitrous with it you can set your full throttle fuel map to compensate for the added air but you still need a dyno to tune it...over all not worth the 300 bucks to look nice on your dash...unless you have the mod's that it would be usefull for... [hr]
dont torque and HP always intercet at 5252RPMS? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-31-2002
Registered!!

xblkcivicx is an unknown quantity at this point
No they do not intersect at the 5252...it will vary with the mods that you do...think about it this way if you add parts that give you 50 hp and 13ft pounds then it will intersect at a different rpm than if you have parts that will give you 100 hp and 20ft pounds.... etc etc..
Old 11-01-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
No they do not intersect at the 5252...it will vary with the mods that you do...think about it this way if you add parts that give you 50 hp and 13ft pounds then it will intersect at a different rpm than if you have parts that will give you 100 hp and 20ft pounds.... etc etc..[hr]

Your horsepower and torque WILL ALWAYS cross at 5252 RPM.
The dyno converts torque to HP using the equation:
Horsepower= Torque*RPM/5252

So at 5252 you have HP=Torque*5252/5252 or HP=Torque

What you are looking for is the optimal point to change the cam profile from the lower cam profile to the high cam profile. This can become altered with performance parts. What you would want to do is dyno the car with VTEC off and find the HP and torque curves while on the low cam, then do it with just VTEC on, and find the point where the curves from the 2 cams cross.
There's plenty more involved than just this, but the basic point is that you need to find the place that optimizes the effeciency of the 2 cam profiles and it has nothing to do with the overall HP and torque of the engine.