General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

spark plugs=better gas economy: why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002
Jon
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jon is an unknown quantity at this point
spark plugs=better gas economy: why?

i was reading a thread where people talked about the upgrade to Bosche platinum +4 spark plugs and had better gas economy because of it. I would like to know what does the Bosche have over our factor plugs. Why does it create better gas economy? more sparks or better timing or some other factor???.....thanks guys for any help
Old 07-18-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
The more spark the more efficient the combustion. The ECU will accomodate for this better combustion by lowering the fuel pumped into the chamber. Therefore, better gas mileage.
Old 07-18-2002
Jon
Registered!!

succinct and sweet thanks
Old 07-18-2002
Registered!!

Strider is an unknown quantity at this point
cause i'm kinda at work now and too lazy to go to the car place after work... about how much are those spark plugs running for (cost)
and yes, i know this is going to be a complete newbie question, but we need four spark plugs right?
Old 07-18-2002
Registered!!

AirForce is an unknown quantity at this point
Like 5 bucks a plug for the Bosch 4+ and I have the Bosch 2+and I think the bill came to like 15 bucks with tax
Old 07-18-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, you have as many spark plugs as you do cylinders. Except on the RX-7. There are two rotors and four sparkplugs. Two leading and two trailing.

Hey AirForce, why do you have my girlfriend in your sig?
Old 07-18-2002
Jon
Registered!!

hey silverdevil, can you explain why on the RX-7 there are 2 leading and 2 trailing spark plugs??

edit: what does Bosche mean by +2 and/or +4?? what is the difference in the two and what makes one necessarily better than the other?
Old 07-18-2002
Registered!!

civichx81 is an unknown quantity at this point
dude bosch +4 sparkplugs suck!!!! the only good thing that i like about them is theyre good w/ nitrous. otherwise, they suck!!!they reduce your gas mileage. and makes your engine sound a little rough
Old 07-18-2002
Registered!!

symmetry is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: civichx81
dude bosch +4 sparkplugs suck!!!! the only good thing that i like about them is theyre good w/ nitrous. otherwise, they suck!!!they reduce your gas mileage. and makes your engine sound a little rough[hr]
I had this same problem in my 94 tegra and 86 prelude. I won't even consider putting them in my civic. To much respect for my car.
Old 07-18-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Jon
hey silverdevil, can you explain why on the RX-7 there are 2 leading and 2 trailing spark plugs??

edit: what does Bosche mean by +2 and/or +4?? what is the difference in the two and what makes one necessarily better than the other?[hr]
1. The rotor has two stages of compression and one stage of Intake/Exhaust. The rotor looks like a triangle. The first stage of combustion is the leading and the second is the trailing. The rotors spin counterclockwise so the leading sparkplug is on the bottom and the trailing in on the top. The Rotors are perpendicular to the tires, they go from side to side, not front to back. It's easy to remember where to put each sparkplug because they are marked L and T for leading and trailing, or Lower and Top. They are idiot proof. The exhaust is on the passenger side of the vehicle.

2. The +2 and +4 comes with how many prongs are at the bottom of the sparkplug. I forget the real name for them. But regular sparkplugs have one, the +2 have 2 and the +4 have...You guessed it, 4!

PS. If you've never seen a rotary sparkplug, they are cool. They don't have the prongs like regular sparkplugs, the tip is sunk into the body of the sparkplug and it has four slits. Very different.