General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Speed Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zsteelers30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Speed Sensor?

I have a 1998 Honda Civic, Manuel EX, 1.7L, 4cylinder and the speedometer is stuck at 20mph, the odometer and tripometer wont work either. The computer says its the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). I got a new VSS and it did the same thing. So I tested the wires they are all good too. My only conclusion is that the gear in the transmission is bad and wont turn the VSS gear. Or the fact that the transmission was replaced by a previous owner and may have a different trany in that requires a different VSS. Is it possible that there is a Accord or other year Civic model trany in which would need a different VSS???? Can anyone help me out??????

Last edited by zsteelers30; 08-20-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2010
Registered!!

DEX200K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Speed Sensor?

Did you ever get this prob fixed? My 1996 started doing the same, speedometer shows 20, kinda flutters then sometimes starts working again 5-10 minutes later.
Old 10-09-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Haynes manual, available at any car parts store...
then come back here, fools...
Old 10-09-2010
Registered!!

hb pickup is an unknown quantity at this point

hey dex
A bad speedo gave me the same indication. Check for a 5volt pulse on the blue/white wire @ speed sensor on the tranny while turning the front wheels (front jacked up). Check @ gauge to verify you're getting the signal there too before junking it.
Old 10-10-2010
Registered!!

zsteelers30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i already did the jack it up test and spin one wheel and it does not engage the speedo, which says the gear in the tranny is not spinning the speed sensor gear. My question was could the gear in the tranny be stripped or my tranny is a replacement and is it possible for it to be another model and require a different speed sensor.

For the mean time, I got a Garmin GPS unit and it lets me know how fast I'm going.
Old 10-10-2010
Registered!!

are u saying u put a multimeter on the vss? and did it put out a 5v pulse or not? are u getting power to the black/yellow wire? is the black wire a solid ground?
if pwr & gnd are good & u got 5v pulse the vss & tranny side are ok.
Old 10-10-2010
Registered!!

DEX200K is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told since no MIL/DTC (code) is displayed it's not the VSS. Probably a speedo cable problem. That means taking apart the dash to check to speedo cable at the back of the gauge. Do I have to disengage the SRS airbags?
Old 10-10-2010
Registered!!

Mine didn't throw a code. troubleshooting-wise u chek the easy stuff first & the vss is easy to ck.
srs is not a factor getting the cluster out.
the cluster comes out by taking out the two screws at the top of the trim and kinda pull on the lower edge to get the trim out. 4 screws on the cluster & it comes right out. Get the wires to give u enough play to turn it sideways 2 see the back. 5volt pulse on pin 11 of top center connecter. i think the circuit board was marked where speedo teminal is. Put a rag over the steering column so u don't scratch it up.