General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

another spark plug thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
laack is an unknown quantity at this point
another spark plug thread

my damn toe thumbs dropped one of my plugs and bent and scratched the hell out of the terminal.i tried soften the blow with my foot but instead stomped on it.

car came with some autolite plugs...

replacement: denso seems to be the plug of choice on here but at $40 i would need to be able to justify buying them.

denso (8.99) or ngk gpower single platinum (2.99). would i see a noticeable difference in MPG? I would rather see an increase in efficiency over power if those are what the trade offs will be.

94 civic dx 1.5

Last edited by laack; 12-31-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-31-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light
Re: another spark plug thread

I don't even run platinum at 134k miles. I get 40mpg average highway, and 34 minimum city during the summer. I just use the standard non-plat NGK's. I don't have experience with the fancier plugs to be honest.
Old 12-31-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

NGK Iridiums are the best. But any brand of NGKs are good. Denso as well. Those are the ones that seem to be the most popular here. Just like you say. If you don't want to spend that much. Get the NGKs.
Old 12-31-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Stay away from Bosch, they will cause problems in hondas. Next time I replace plugs I will try ngk platinums. Why do they say that after 90k miles platinums should be run?
Old 12-31-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if youre poor, get ngk v-power copper plugs for $2 each. if youre rich, get denso iridium for $10 each. both will have the same performance and last a couple yrs. the denso will use a bit less electrical energy so your alternator wont work as hard.
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Go with V-powers like gearbox said..how the **** are Denso so expensive in your area? I believe they are fairly cheap here.. at least the OEM kind, not them special 4 prong *****.
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

I went with the ngk platinum plugs 2.79 a piece vs 1.99 for the cheapest copper ones. I've never heard go platinum after 90k.

What is the difference between these and the expensive ones? denso = lower load on alternator.. any other benefit? platinum laser for 10? what is the advantage between that one and the normal platinum
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

gap- manual says .043. spark plug ngk- zfr5fgp is gaped at .038.. i know i cant regap these. did i end up with wrong plugs?
Old 01-01-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

0.044 should be stock gap and usually ngk sets the gap. did you measure it? sometimes its correct when you use the gapping tool. check sparkplugs.com for the correct part numbers.
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
0.044 should be stock gap and usually ngk sets the gap. did you measure it? sometimes its correct when you use the gapping tool. check sparkplugs.com for the correct part numbers.
Part number matched up but the platinums gaps were off.(autozone measured a 2nd set that were also off). I used 2 different gapping tools, 1 round one and the other was my feeler gauges. I ended up returning those plugs for copper v power plugs. gapped and installed.
Old 01-01-2010
Premium Member

the v-power is really better than platinum for performance. platinum just lasts longer but doesnt conduct as well. the coppers should last you 2-3 yrs, but for how cheap they are its worth changing every year. i keep my denso iridiums for 3 yrs, per denso recommendation.
Old 01-02-2010
Registered!!

since the platinums don't conduct as well, I bet the .038 gap is proper spec.