General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Rough idle after battery install

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
babyontheway is an unknown quantity at this point
Rough idle after battery install

Hey Folks,

Long time no speak - missed this forum - I was abroad for a few months. I installed a new battery in my 96 civic si and my idle has been rough since then. Before I left and when the old battery was in, the idle was perfect.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue? thks and God Bless
Old 09-16-2008
Registered!!

hypnotic20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rough idle after battery install

maybe there was an amperage issue?
Old 09-16-2008
Registered!!

wouldn't I see it when i drive the car or use the radio etc... I drove the car on the highway and on streets, and the idle is fine for the speeds used, it is only when i put the MT on neutral and prpare to stop.

do I need to reset the ecu? i don't know how.

thks
Old 09-17-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

probably the ECU hasn't relearned its map 100% yet. pull out your ECU fuse for a minute or so, plop the fuse back in and start the car. let the car run at IDLE with NO ACCESSORIES ON of any kind and let it idle for about 15 minutes. just start the car with nothing on except the engine and dont touch it. after 15 minutes or so turn the car off and then turn the engine back on again. the ECU should have relearned its map by then. im not sure if this is your problem but this is the only reason i think your idle would be not up to par after a battery install.

hope this helps!
Old 09-17-2008
Registered!!

Ok so where's the ecu on my civic si??? i opened the fuse box in the engine bay on the passenger side and nothing indicates where an ecu could be. i looked at the civic manual and they dont talk about an ecu.

can you tell me which one i should pull of?

thks again
Old 09-17-2008
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough

like civic said, its the ecu needing to relearn everything. you dont need to find the ecu. just find the ecm fuse in the fusebox and pul it out for 15-20 seconds and put it back in and let it idle for 15 minutes. make sure the cooling fan has came on atleast once before you turn the car off. if its ran for 15 minutes and the colling fan hasnt came on yet, let it keep running til the fan comes on and goes off
Old 09-17-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

He doesn't have an ECU fuse because it's a 6th gen. All he needs to do is pull the negative cable, press on the brakes for 10-30 seconds to remove all electricity, then start the car back up. Let it idle for 10 minutes then take it on the road and go for an aggresive drive.

Oh and check your positive cable. It might be corroded.
Old 09-17-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

sorry i assumed you had a 7th gen because this is mostly a 7th gen site. do that cleft said and then do the same thing as i said. wallla! i should be fine.
Old 09-19-2008
Registered!!

Re: Rough idle after battery install - FINAL RESULTS

Mornin' Folks,

First, BIG thanks for everyone who tried to help, and a BIGGER thks to GEARBOX for his help through this - someone should make him a super member!....wait......he is already lol

So, here is what I did, it finaly worked - for all of you with a 6 gen civic - here is what you do!

step 1: disconnect the neg cable on the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes, then put it back on and ran the car for 10 minutes no accessories. RESULTS: nada, no change, idle still fluctuating at stop.(1200 to 750).

step 2: removed the air filter housing and cleaned the ENTIRE IAVC with the vavle with some carb cleaner, untill the entire thing was shiny bling bling! went for a quick drive and noticed a slight difference. engine check light is ON

step 3: removed fuse N011 (15v) under the hood, this is the ECM one on the 6 gen civic as per the manual. removed for 10 minutes and put it back on. turned the car on without any accessories and let it stand for 10 minutes. engine check light is still ON. turnesd the car off for 2 minutes and again ON and went for a drive - idle between 750 and 900, Engine check light is still ON.

step 4: removed the neg battery cable and let it stand for 10 minutes, put it back on, ran the car for 10 minutes and voila!!!!! no engine check light, idle is perfect and the car runs like a charm!!!!!!!!!

so thks for everyone for their input, keep the magic goin'!

Babyontheway