General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Rod Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light
Rod Bearing Question

Why does it seem that aftermarket performance bearings are one size fit all and honda has like 10 different bearing sizes for the rods? If performance ones are only one size for that particular motor...is it extremely important to go with the right size oem honda bearings? Is honda just being overly precise with the measurments?
Old 05-17-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rod Bearing Question

Great question. I would like to know the same since I need 3 more main bearings and Majestic is out of stock with no re-stock date in sight. Time to ask Avery if he has a line on some.
Old 05-17-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

The proper sized Honda bearings probably are the best way to go but I've never had a problem with aftermarket ones with any of the motors I've built. As for longevity I can't vouch for the aftermarket as compared to Honda stuff. Honda spec bearings are probably made by the same companies but Honda has very strict production standards.
Old 05-18-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

oem bearings are ordered by color, aftermarket bearings are ordered by size. With the oem's you just get the codes stamped on the crank and engraved on the block, with the aftermarket stuff you have to measure and do some math to calculate actual thicknesses. it is not one size fits all. bearings have to be accurate to about half the thickness of a human hair..
Old 05-19-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light

^that makes more sense then..thx
Old 05-19-2008

And if anyone is planning on doing a bottom-end build soon and you need the "green" main bearings, you're out luck. They are completely out of stock everywhere and can't even be emergency ordered. I've checked three different ways - two Honda dealers (Fosho's and another friend of mine) and Majestic and no one has them, can get them, or knows when they will be back in stock.

Bastards.
Old 05-19-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

what about checking with acura? thats where i bought green ones a month ago
Old 05-19-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

what acura, besides the el, comes with a d series? and clint, dont feel bad. im building a K24 block and its taking my dealer about 3 weeks to get me bearings. I think honda is in the process of switching bearing manufacturers, because all the bearing part numbers have changed and so have the engravings on the bearings..
Old 05-20-2008
You VTEC...I-VTEC

Originally Posted by skipbarber
what acura, besides the el, comes with a d series?
...i was thinking k series
Old 05-22-2008

Woot! New main bearings coming from Belgium! Hooray for living overseas. It's actually working in my favor this time, unlike the debacle I went through during my turbo install.