General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Downhillin' Dealership!! [rant]

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Downhillin' Dealership!! [rant]

Ok where do I start? Honda guys, chime in if you can offer insight. This is kind of a rant, I'm just trying to vent before I call the service manager. I don't want to be a jackass to him..

The local dealership here used to be pretty good. I was able to take my car in ask them to do something, or ask them to check out a problem and they would do it all and fix any issues that I had.

I'd take my car in for their so-called "minor" maintenence. Which was basically an oil change, tire rotation, fluid fill, a check over of the major components suspension, lighting, filters, etc; and they would even adjust the brakes so my e-brake was nice and tight again. Not to mention my car would leave the shop and seem to run a lot better, almost like they adjusted something to make it idle and run smoother and quieter.

Now days I go in and ask for the minor maintenence and they act like they are freaking deaf. They are like, "ok anything else besides the oil change today?". I'm like yeah, the MINOR MAINTENENCE. They are like ok, so you want us to rotate the tires? It's like, do what you used to do. You mail out all this crap about minor maintenence and when I get here you call it an oil change. WTF?

I tell them my brakes have a squeek, but they "can't duplicate the problem". Before I left I sat there in the shop next to the "advisor" and duplicated the problem like dogs squeek toy.

They give me this big *** list of stuff they "checked" and it's all ok. The lighting is ok? How about the marker light in the front that is burned out? Checked that pretty thoroughly I see. If they can't spot a burned out bulb how are they going to notice a blown strut, or something else?

This time I asked them to diagnose the SRS light. Turns out there is a sensor or a switch or something in the buckle that tells the SRS system if your seat belt is on . That I guess is jacked up so they quoted me a new buckle and labor at $270.00!! That doesn't include the $90 to diagnose the light!

Basically I left there with a $170.00 bill. From what I can tell they checked my battery (I got a printout). Diagnosed my SRS light. Changed my oil and sent me on my way. My SRS light is on, my brake still squeeks, my e-brake is still as loose as a **** star. Hell, they didn't even change the little sticker in the windshield to tell me when my next oil change is.

This is 2 times in a row this has happened. First time shame on them, second time shame on me. Waste of time and money.

[/rant] Thanks for reading.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Re: Downhillin' Dealership!! [rant]

Yeah I feel your pain because I've been in the same situation.

Make sure you always go to the same service adviser (who treats you well); the good ones remember your problems and check on your car frequently to give you updates.

I found out on my last visit that my service adviser quit.
I guess he couldn't take working with retards anymore lol
Old 03-19-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol well, the service advisor here called me a liar when i complained about crappy repairs.
Old 03-19-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

The local dealership service advisors dont know ****. The guy at the parts desk knows his ****, and knows the long list of **** I've bought from him. I like that guy.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

skoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Nail them to the cross. In my experience with two 7th gens and all together 3 Hondas..calling and bitch'n on the phone doesn't accomplish anything. What I mean by nail'n them to the cross is their surveys they send out or call you about when you have service done. When I gave them an extreamly negative review as a Service Dept...then the love started to show when I went there. Triz is right the parts guys are the bomb. Service advisors don't know their *** from their elbow. (most of them) Not all!!
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

^^
agreed. Whenever I fill out the surveys negatively they always do better the next time. My parts guy also knows his stuff and even recognized my girlfriend enough to give her my discount when she picked up some parts for me.
Old 03-19-2008

pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Good idea. Hopefully I get a survey.

Does anyone know if they are supposed to adjust the brake to tighten up the e-brake? Or were they just being really nice back then?
Old 03-19-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRIZ
The local dealership service advisors dont know ****. The guy at the parts desk knows his ****, and knows the long list of **** I've bought from him. I like that guy.
haha the parts guy here knows more than all the techs combined. im like wtf are you working parts for lol.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I work for a Honda/Toyota dealership....as a service advisor. Not all of us are bad......I like to make money & I like to help people. Good Combo.

1st thing I notice that usually causes issues is communication. I have this same frustration w/ my customers. When someone says "minor maintenance" I'm going to ask specifically what you need. Too often people will say just maintenance or minor maintenance. I do the "minor maintenance" or only change+tire rotation. Come to find out check out time they wanted the transmission fluid changed, air filter changed, parking brake adjusted, tires balance, they have a light out, or it pulls.

Communication people.............I'm sure the service advisor was not being rude, he was just probing for what specifically you want done. This is not an easy business & you really need to narrow in on what each customer wants done. Not everyone's idea of "minor maintenance" is the same. I love when my customer brings me in a list or even better they're maintenance book with what they want done. Trust me, I don't like getting yelled out.

Plus, if they are as busy as me right now....that is also when alot of mistakes happens. I help at least 50+ people a day (they're are 4 other service advisors).......my mechanics can barely finish all our work right now. My shop is a decent sized shop but we are easily doing double the amount of work.

As stated above it is a good idea to find a service advisor that you like & go to. I love when a customer only wants me to work on they're car. I know them & they know me. **** is straight & clear!

P.S. - Standard oil change & tire rotation at my dealership gets.......fluids top off, check belts & hoses, check tires & set psi, quick visual inspection, & optional wash & vac.....anything else you want done please let me know!!! You can't bring a car to me and tell me just the basic's & expect me to read your mind!!!

Oh and honda seat belt buckles are usually lifetime warranty if the car has not been in an accident..........Just my 2 cents....I wouldn't have charged you!
Old 03-19-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Oh and honda seat belt buckles are usually lifetime warranty if the car has not been in an accident..........Just my 2 cents....I wouldn't have charged you!
Yeah, complain about that... if the shop doesnt do anything- whats the next step- honda of america?
Old 03-19-2008

I have a call out to Honda America right now. They opened a case about the belt buckle. I told them that I saw it as a safety issue, which usually gets things going.

FoSho, thanks for the advice. That's what I was looking for. Someone that does this stuff to see if there was something I was doing wrong. I guess if I return to the dealership I'll make sure I write out a list of things I want to be sure they do.

Also does it help if I not only tell the advisor what the problem is, but show him what I do to duplicate it?

I just hate being a jerk to those guys and I know they are busy, I just feel like I'm being rushed through and that they don't care what the heck happens. I feel that if I ask them about anything I'm "bothering" them.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yeah....if I can see a problem or duplicate it thats even better.......

The first thing the technician is going to do is duplicate the compliant!!! That is the golden rule for diagnosis'n!

As long as you come prepared to help the dealership I'm sure things will go smooth. The items you ask for aren't hard they just take alittle bit of time....it can be a smooth operation but that usually isn't the case w/ cars!!

Something as simple as a light bulb change can quickly go into an electrical issue.......I have technicians & I have lube techs.....if I have a lube tech that finds an electrical issue he has to get a tech to stop what they're doing & check it out. So I have to stop everything & switch guys. Kinda like when you're flight gets delayed? Watch the mayhem begin! Same goes for us!

But what I've noticed is that things are just too expensive. Cars cost alot to fix & repair! I know this....this is why I started fixing my own cars...I was too broke!
I totally understand when someone is upset....I'm 80 dollars an hour and I'm still the cheapest in town. Most places are 100 an hour. Thats alot of money!

Last edited by FoSho; 03-19-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2008
AUTOMATIC

AUTOMATIC will become famous soon enoughAUTOMATIC will become famous soon enough

i work at a honda dealership and the seatbelt work should be free, all seatbelts are lifetime warranty...it shouldnt cost you a penny to get that seatbelt replaced
Old 03-19-2008

The guy said that sense the seatbelt latches properly it wasn't a warranty situation.
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

We'll.....thats the grey area..........Technically it's a lifetime warranty on all mechanical parts ie... retractors, buckles.....not srs units or anything electrical / just basically safety........

However I warranty buckles all the time with electrical switch issues....ie SRS light is on.....Technically I can charge for diagnosis since the srs light is on....but I don't....I'm not an *** & usually they're here for other issues.

Call Honda & ask they will tell you!

P.S. My warranty never gets rejected for seat belts