General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Crower Vavle Spring Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Crower Vavle Spring Install

I got the crower springs and need to get them in to get up and running. Searching and the manual left me in the dark. Seems simple right...

Video? DIY?

Noobs- I do not mean suspension springs..

Oh, head is off, and cam is out!
Old 07-22-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Re: Crower Vavle Spring Install

valve spring compressor, compress the spring, remove the keepers, valve slides out, pop it back in, compress new spring, install keeper. be very careful,one of those in the eyes is bad news. I always let the machine shop do it since they pretty much disassemble the head to hot tank it and mill it flat. the guy i know doesnt charge me any more to put new springs in as long as he's milling it and cleaning it for me.
Old 07-22-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Werds, I dont need all that, and I dont have my hand in any machine shop guys pocket. From what I've seen the past hour scouring the internet, I do need the valve spring compressor, and cannot jimmy rig it with clamps or something.

My two questions are now, A- how do the keepers come off/whats the technology behind whats keeping them on, and where can I get a valve spring compressor, perferably rent for a few days to a week?

Last edited by TRIZ; 07-22-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough

the keepers lock into little notches on the valve stem and then the retainer holds them there with spring pressure. when you compress the spring, use a little magnet or something and they come right out. you should be able to get a spring compressor just about anywhere they sell automotive tools. be careful of which one you buy, not all spring compressors with work with an overhead cam motor. no room to get the compressor in. i made one once with some vicegrips and plate steel i cut into u-shapes and welded them to the end of the vicegrips. didnt have much choice. tool truck wasnt coming around the shop for a day or 2.
Old 07-22-2007
Premium Member

^ you give me hope, lets see what I can do with a few clamps.

Auto stores are closed for this sunday night, gotta pick one up tomorrow if it doesnt pan out tonight.
Old 07-24-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

You're not gonna be able to jimmy it with clamps. Everything in there is microsized. You need the spring compressor, its 20 bucks for the big 'C' shaped overhead valve one at Sears, just buy it, or pay the machine shop to pop them in with the pnumatic compressor.
Inside the motor is not the place to be improvising on tools.
Old 07-24-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

Hey skip my shop charges about $600 - $800 to mill and clean my head I thought that was a little high...

How much does your shop charge?

Last edited by 02BLKCIVIC; 07-24-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll agree with Boiler on this one. Get the proper tools or take it to shop Triz, you don't want to chance ****ing this one up after all you've spent to get it. You can get the old springs and retainers off with a hammer, deep well socket and towel (to catch the keepers), but there's no way those stiffer springs are going on with anything other than the proper tool.
Old 07-24-2007

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
Hey skip my shop charges about $600 - $800 to mill and clean my head I thought that was a little high...

How much does your shop charge?
thats way too much. ive had 5 cylinder heads done by the same guy in the past 2 months, the last one he did for me was for a 2g eclipse. he hot tanked it, reseated the valves and installed new seals for $300, and thats the most he's ever charged me. my d17a2 head was done for less than $200 and that included seals, springs, retainers, milling and cleaning. he's very thorough too.
Old 07-24-2007

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

cool, do you bring them the head?

because i would need to drive mine in...

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

You kinda have to bring them parts.
Thats why most people buy spares.
Old 07-24-2007
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice

spend the 20 bucks and do it yourself. With the head off and the proper tool its extremely easy. do some google searches for the job, most engines are pretty much the same design.
Old 07-24-2007
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^^ I agree also get a magnet so you dont lose any of the locks. They are pretty small and if your locker isn't put in right and the spring shoots it out you won't find it. I would wear safety googles but i am safe about stuff and rather not lose an eye or vision. also before you just slap it back on the car make sure the springs are staying in. I did this by getting a rubber mallet and just tapping each spring a couple times.
Old 07-24-2007

you dont have too bring them the parts but i understand.
Old 07-24-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

damn... all this to get the head worked on!
Old 07-24-2007
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

Could run to kragen or auto zone see if they have a rent a tool for the job?
Old 07-24-2007

Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
cool, do you bring them the head?

because i would need to drive mine in...

Thanks!

you have to give them the bare parts. they wont work on cars.
Old 07-24-2007

I understand, my quote was if I brought them the car and they install cam, cam gear, valve springs, retainers, and milled head, then put the car back together...

Thanks again though
Old 07-24-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough

hows the project triz? and for all the haters that said you cant improvise tools, i beg to differ. ive stripped and reassembled many heads with my visegrip valve spring compressor. and the method of removing the old retainers and locks with a hammer and socket, i take it whoever suggested that idea has never sent the valve right into the table under it. yeah, dont improvise tools for head work, but feel free to beat on the valve stems with a hammer.
Old 07-24-2007
Premium Member

Been done with this over 30 hrs ago. =) I guess I forgot to close the thread. I took some video, will post as soon as I edit it.

BTW, thanks to everyone that replied!!
Old 07-26-2007
Premium Member

Completed.
To make it easy for the few people that use the search button, here is the link to the DIY I created.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...val-video.html