General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

about to change head gasket and timing belt. UPDATE! 2/22/07

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
ok i got the valve cover off and all that jazz... i read somewhere that you can replace the headgasket without removing the timing belt? the timing belt removal looks like a PITA. it also says you need to buy a special tool to hold the crank pulley in place which is 60 bucks. i dont know if autozone has the rent-a-tool for this. anyways yeah. how do i take the head off without taking the timing belt off? i was also looking to put in new arp head studs just because the head is coming off.
Old 02-22-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
Originally Posted by boosted.es2
ok i got the valve cover off and all that jazz... i read somewhere that you can replace the headgasket without removing the timing belt? the timing belt removal looks like a PITA. it also says you need to buy a special tool to hold the crank pulley in place which is 60 bucks. i dont know if autozone has the rent-a-tool for this. anyways yeah. how do i take the head off without taking the timing belt off? i was also looking to put in new arp head studs just because the head is coming off.
Well its not easy but it can be done, if you slide the timing belt off the cam gear and then you might be able to pull it back on afterwards. To save yourself alot of time, get the tool. It will be worth it rather than struggle with it. You need to have the crank pulley off to see where the timing mark is on the block anyway, unless you set it to TDC before you pull the timing belt then you just have to set the timing on the camshaft when you put the head back on, if it moved.
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
you need to pull the crank pulley anyway to get to the tensionor for the timing belt. if the head is coming off, i would replace the headgasket, timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensionor, cam seal, valve cover gasket, and im sure theres another thing or 2. head bolts should also be replaced but youre going with arp studs so youll be ok there. as for the tool, you can do it without the tool if you have an impact gun. if you dont have an impact gun or the funds to buy the tool and you have a manual trans, put the ebrake on as hard as you can, put the trans in 1st, put a huge breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt, and twist that bitch off.
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
^^ thanks lol is it possible to damage the tranny that way? i doubt it. but still. lol
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
it could be possible, but ive never had problems. as long as you dont over do it.
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

which way to loosen the crank pulley? i been searching but im confused. lol
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

the whole engine still moves even when my car is in gear. thats not normal is it? lol.

will this tool work? eBay Motors: Honda/Acura Crank Pulley Removal Tool 50mm (item 160088074008 end time Feb-27-07 21:10:31 PST)
i cant find that pulley holding tool anywhere.
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

the bolt for the crank pulley is standard thread. lefty loosey righty tighty. yes that took will work. did you have your front tires off the ground when you were trying to take it off? probably so. you need a flex head breaker bar and do it from under the car with the tires on the ground.
Old 02-22-2007
Registered!!

a regular socket wrench with a breaker bar wouldnt work? and there is no way i can fit under my car its too low. ahah. thanks for all your help unclejuice. on my crankshaft pulley i do not see the UP engraving on there. i guess il have to mark all the pulleys and the block and the camshaft so i dont screw up the timing.
Old 02-23-2007
Registered!!

the crank wont have "up" marked on it. thats the cam gear. the crank pulley has 4 lines on it right next to where the belt goes. 3 close together and one by itself to the right. the red line in the middle is your tdc mark that needs to be lined up with the pointer on the block.
Old 02-24-2007
Registered!!

^^ thanks. im all done. i jsut changed the headgasket no studs. had no money for that. i think i will do that within the month i couldnt afford so much down time. that you everyone tht helped i couldnt have done it without you especially unclejuice...
Old 02-24-2007
Registered!!

no problem man. was going to tell you that youll need new intake and exhaust mani gaskets too. its a pretty pricey job. anyway, glad youre done. hows the overheating problem?