General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

cam question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ohsnapsjay08 will become famous soon enough
Hi guys, sorry to barge in but my goal is the same as you guys, N/A 150whp! it would be a nice project for sure, well as of now still working on suspension, wheels and brakes.. then after that, going for stage 2 (for turbo later on) and i heard that a stage 2 for turbo setup would be ok with an IHE. and wanna max the N/A (and the reason being is, i'll go for turbo about next year june)

as you where saying 02BLKCIVIC bout how you F'up your tranny & half shafts.. i think its because your flywheel is too light and revs super fast and not only that, your acceleration would be slower (or the lunch from stop).. thats why they recommend it around 11lbs, which is about right for drag race, but then agian there's pros on 7lbs so yea... just my .2 . but i bet you know that already hehe iam a rookie here sowi!

anywho!! do you guys live around here in socal? we should have some kind of meet and help each other out.. well me, I definitely be willing to help you guys and the reason would be is.. "experience".. so yea.

still new here thoe but reading alot of stuff here and really learning alot.. thanks to gearbox and some other peepz for DIY.

Last edited by ohsnapsjay08; 09-18-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
lol^ you did barge in but who cares!

I am well aware when I bought my flywheel

I would loose some of my 60' time. My car just wrapes out like crazy!!!

I love it!!! The half shafts went out because of my

carless burn outs, drag launches on the steets, and constantly cherping the tires.

check this out...

I can chirp 4th gear getting on the freeway!!!

YES 4th gear chirp because of my flyweel!!!

Wouldnt change it for the world!!

Iv already gone through 3 clutchs tho...

Because of that the tranny and half shafts were only a mater of time before they go...

O' I live in Phoenix Arizona not cali...
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

oh wow.. thats awesome! like watching a move and lunching off in the middle of the freeway, hehe i gues you can do some freeway racing dammiit, come over here in cali! well definitely update you guys about this stuff. (gonna start the modding around Nov).
Old 09-18-2006

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
lol^ I try not to hurt my tranny any more then it is already.(I.E less street racing & more drag racing)

I barley have first & second gear.

But third & fouth are good to go...

Sorta it still slips around 2800 to 3000 rpms its pritty bad too actually.

a noticable slip any way.

good luck to you sir!!!

Last edited by 02BLKCIVIC; 09-18-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Man you must beat on your car if your messing up your tranny like that. I thought only the 01-02's were notorious for bad tranny's and synchros. At least our cars are a dime a dozen so you can replace trannies fairly easily.
Old 09-18-2006

Well this was my first car with a 4 puck,

so wile I was trying to learn & get used to the feel of the pedal,

I missed a few times.

60,000 miles and she isnt doing so well.

Im telling you one mis shift with a 4 puck

and you can fell the tranny turn to butter and grind.

Its all down hill from that one mis shift,

it only get wors from there...

Its so sad...
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

i hate miss shifting and it happened to me like 3 times, one in the freeway but thankfully everything seems to be fine, kumo bushing really helps alot and short shifters... phew!!

mother father, i hope someone here has the same project as i have right now.

Last edited by ohsnapsjay08; 09-18-2006 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
well i sent the money to dude for my head and vafc2 and havent heard from him since and i have no parts. im gonna file a dispute on paypal in 24 hours if i havent heard from him.
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

2K5CIVICBOY20 is an unknown quantity at this point
bypassing the throttle body heater??? hows that work? well it only snow heres on and off..between the months of DEC. through FEB....its not really alot....what brand flywheel shall i go with? whats the most recomended?
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
All I've seen was fidanza for flywheels.
Old 09-18-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by 2K5CIVICBOY20
bypassing the throttle body heater??? hows that work? well it only snow heres on and off..between the months of DEC. through FEB....its not really alot....what brand flywheel shall i go with? whats the most recomended?
imo the act streetlight would be the best choice if you just have to get a flywheel.
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

Hey djmota any advice for us N/A guys since you've done what we're trying to do. Anything you'd do differently if you did it again. I spent some time with Adam (nokturnl) last weekend and he gave me alot of tips too.
Old 09-19-2006

I too say the Fidanza also!!!

They have EXELENT customer support...

I had some shipping issues with act...

But that grudge is more personal.
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
we need to start a thread just for all motor tech stuff. like explaining what weve done to get to the whp level we are now and whatnot.
Old 09-19-2006

Just post up in the N/A EM2 thread uncle...^

Thats our thread any way...

We have already stared causing some waves being anti boost...
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

grab a surfboard then
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

yea i know.. experiment stuff. umm Dezod mentioned about our engine and it has to do with the head so better airflow, more hp.. sounds simply but there's alot more into it (even i dont know what it is), but it'll take months to get some result. so i hope dezod gets a good result which would be good for N/A peepz and turbo goers.
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

yeah i was just reading the thread where they are doing a p&p job on one. eargerly awaiting the results.
Old 09-19-2006

were all reading that thread...

lol^
Old 09-19-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Hey djmota any advice for us N/A guys since you've done what we're trying to do. Anything you'd do differently if you did it again. I spent some time with Adam (nokturnl) last weekend and he gave me alot of tips too.
let me just throw a few of my opinions in.

IMO the d17 isn't worth building the BOTTOM end for na. the cost gets into the K20a2 swap range when the bottom end and top end build, plus ems is done.

If you do plan on building the bottom end for na it would be a complete waste without the use of aem ems to take advantage of the extra compression and rev range.

Here is the big BUT.
It is fun and I believe you can get close to that 140 whp range without ems and with only doing top end work. the price you pay is a decent amount of cash and some daily driving annoyances.

every little bit of power counts. and If i could do it again i would try to bump my comp. ratio up a bit.
you need to come up with other ways to raise compression to help that stage 1 or 2 cam breath the way it should. you can mill the head or take a middle layer of head gasket out. you can also use some flat faced valves.
this will net a few more hp and tq through out the rpm range.

another thing i didn't do was use emanage with all the trimmings. the tuneability over vafc2 is pretty big. its probably best just to start with emanage. i believe i could find a few more hp there also.

a race header is a must HP racing works and makes power the DC race header looks good also. no more cat forget it.

A nice port job is also a must. make sure they port match your ex side to the header you are using.
Old 09-19-2006

WOW!!!^

reped for that one!!!

Thank you mota for taking the time to point us in the right direction!!!

Thank you again!!!
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

+1. im going to build my bottom end as much as possible and see how far i can get towards my 150 n/a hp. i plan to go turbo later on down the road and a strong bottom end isnt going to hurt there. i want to be able to push more than 7 psi which i think is the highest ive seen anyone push in a d17.
Old 09-19-2006

I "think" I saw 8 or 9 psi...^
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

same here.. turbo later on.
Old 09-20-2006
Registered!!

4*banger is an unknown quantity at this point
dam i didnt know they made cams for the D17 i tried googling it one time and no resuslts came up, great info guys.
Old 09-20-2006
Registered!!

Dude where have you been they've been out for like a year now?
Old 09-20-2006
Registered!!

go check out dezod. they got pistons, rods, cams, springs, turbos. i love em. only things i didnt see were 76mm sleeves or the 76mm pistons to go with them
Old 09-21-2006

Originally Posted by 4*banger
dam i didnt know they made cams for the D17 i tried googling it one time and no resuslts came up, great info guys.

You must live under a rock

just messing around
Old 09-21-2006
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
im boost .... but i was gonna but in about the flywheel, i got an 11lb flywheel and i love it. i have pretty sh!tty tires on and it jsut seems like i beat everyone off the line. maybe its just cuz i dont care about the races i lose but i think the fidanza helped me alot, paired with the exedy organic
Old 09-21-2006
Registered!!

Thanks for the review man this is good information.

Quick Reply: cam question