General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Blacked Out Headlight Question..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minorc will become famous soon enough
Blacked Out Headlight Question..

Hey all, i know this has been posted probably a million times, anyways i read Viper's DIY on the 04-05 civics, and he didn't paint the light cover all black, just the insert. I want my whole headlight cover to be black... can i do that, Will light still be able to get out, and I understand you gotta use High Temp black paint but do you need a clear coat aswell??
Old 08-25-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
If it's been asked a million times, why don't you search for it?

But no. Paint is opaque. It won't work with paint. It will, however, work with spray-on window tint and clear coat.
Old 08-25-2006
Registered!!

Hey, I did in fact do a search for it but i didn't get the answer i was searching for. So a paint like Dupicolor would be good... and then clear coat on top of that. Thanks for such a fast reply. and this is done inside the actual headlight not on the outside right.
Old 08-25-2006
Registered!!

well in my 03 civic, there is 3 peices right. I just want to paint the actual headlight cover.. which is smooth plastic or whatever. No ripples just the actual cover. Can i do that... is that the proper way?
Old 08-25-2006
Registered!!

MYK1013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by minorc
well in my 03 civic, there is 3 peices right. I just want to paint the actual headlight cover.. which is smooth plastic or whatever. No ripples just the actual cover. Can i do that... is that the proper way?
when you take yor headlight apart, the headlight cover(the piece that will actually be painted) can be removed and seperated from the rest of the headlight. So the only masking you need to do is the shiny reflective spot where the parking light is at and the behind that amber piece. but then again, you can also paint those areas too if thats your preference. I would suggest using high temp flat paint instead of glossy. IMO, it looks a lot better. good luck
Old 08-25-2006
Registered!!

Thanks alot guys, i really appreciate the help and NON-flaming.
Old 08-25-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
www.headlightarmor.com
Old 08-25-2006
Registered!!

Anyways after a trip to Canadian tire, They don't sell spray tint. The paint i bought the dude said it was Opaque... thats all fine and good but the real dillema is last time i removed my headlight i got the cover off no problem to find a screw inside that i couldn't remove ( see sig ) and after talking to the guys on this website we figured out it was a Security Torx screw. Its a torx screw with a peice of metal in the middle. I need a screwdriver to remove this thing... any ideas.. was the dude at Canadian tire just BS'n me. Please help,

^^ BTW the guy at Canadian Tire said i couldn't find anything like that there or anywhere probably.. once again help is much appreciated.

Last edited by minorc; 08-25-2006 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-25-2006
Premium Member

jeffsta17 is an unknown quantity at this point
look for the DIY tinted tail lights to find the spray on tint
Old 08-26-2006
Registered!!

Thanks for all the help, i got er done today with flat black high heat dupicolor.. IMO looks F'n awesome. I'll post pics when i get a nice day to do em. Later
Old 08-26-2006
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by minorc
Anyways after a trip to Canadian tire, They don't sell spray tint. The paint i bought the dude said it was Opaque... thats all fine and good but the real dillema is last time i removed my headlight i got the cover off no problem to find a screw inside that i couldn't remove ( see sig ) and after talking to the guys on this website we figured out it was a Security Torx screw. Its a torx screw with a peice of metal in the middle. I need a screwdriver to remove this thing... any ideas.. was the dude at Canadian tire just BS'n me. Please help,

^^ BTW the guy at Canadian Tire said i couldn't find anything like that there or anywhere probably.. once again help is much appreciated.
One extra off topic bit off advice.....NEVER LISTEN TO ANYTHING OR EVEN TALK TO PEOPLE THAT WORK AT CANADIAN TIRE.......they all ride the short bus to work.
Old 08-26-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
dont you mean crappy-tire lol
Old 08-26-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Why don't you just call the cops and ask them to bring their ticket book to your house?
Old 09-01-2006
Dain Bramaged.

Gee, there's a real intelligent post. Do you have any idea what's going on here? He's not painting the headlights black.
Old 09-01-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
haha sorry, my original intent was for him to call the cops and ask about the legalities before he got into ruining his headlights, but it turned into what I posted! I thought it was more funny than pointless.
Old 09-02-2006
Dain Bramaged.

No worries. Happens to the best of us.