Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Honda Civic Forum Archive. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive)
-   -   Blacked Out Headlight Question.. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/171-general-honda-civic-forum-archive/276182-blacked-out-headlight-question.html)

minorc 08-25-2006 05:50 PM

Blacked Out Headlight Question..

Hey all, i know this has been posted probably a million times, anyways i read Viper's DIY on the 04-05 civics, and he didn't paint the light cover all black, just the insert. I want my whole headlight cover to be black... can i do that, Will light still be able to get out, and I understand you gotta use High Temp black paint but do you need a clear coat aswell??

jester444 08-25-2006 05:55 PM

If it's been asked a million times, why don't you search for it?

But no. Paint is opaque. It won't work with paint. It will, however, work with spray-on window tint and clear coat.

minorc 08-25-2006 06:18 PM

Hey, I did in fact do a search for it but i didn't get the answer i was searching for. So a paint like Dupicolor would be good... and then clear coat on top of that. Thanks for such a fast reply. :D and this is done inside the actual headlight not on the outside right.

minorc 08-25-2006 06:23 PM

well in my 03 civic, there is 3 peices right. I just want to paint the actual headlight cover.. which is smooth plastic or whatever. No ripples just the actual cover. Can i do that... is that the proper way?

MYK1013 08-25-2006 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by minorc
well in my 03 civic, there is 3 peices right. I just want to paint the actual headlight cover.. which is smooth plastic or whatever. No ripples just the actual cover. Can i do that... is that the proper way?

when you take yor headlight apart, the headlight cover(the piece that will actually be painted) can be removed and seperated from the rest of the headlight. So the only masking you need to do is the shiny reflective spot where the parking light is at and the behind that amber piece. but then again, you can also paint those areas too if thats your preference. I would suggest using high temp flat paint instead of glossy. IMO, it looks a lot better. good luck

minorc 08-25-2006 06:48 PM

Thanks alot guys, i really appreciate the help and NON-flaming.

gearbox 08-25-2006 07:16 PM

www.headlightarmor.com

minorc 08-25-2006 07:34 PM

Anyways after a trip to Canadian tire, They don't sell spray tint. The paint i bought the dude said it was Opaque... thats all fine and good but the real dillema is last time i removed my headlight i got the cover off no problem to find a screw inside that i couldn't remove ( see sig ) and after talking to the guys on this website we figured out it was a Security Torx screw. Its a torx screw with a peice of metal in the middle. I need a screwdriver to remove this thing... any ideas.. was the dude at Canadian tire just BS'n me. Please help,

^^ BTW the guy at Canadian Tire said i couldn't find anything like that there or anywhere probably.. once again help is much appreciated.

jeffsta17 08-25-2006 07:47 PM

look for the DIY tinted tail lights to find the spray on tint

minorc 08-26-2006 07:19 PM

Thanks for all the help, i got er done today with flat black high heat dupicolor.. IMO looks F'n awesome. I'll post pics when i get a nice day to do em. Later

Hurts2bStock 08-26-2006 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by minorc
Anyways after a trip to Canadian tire, They don't sell spray tint. The paint i bought the dude said it was Opaque... thats all fine and good but the real dillema is last time i removed my headlight i got the cover off no problem to find a screw inside that i couldn't remove ( see sig ) and after talking to the guys on this website we figured out it was a Security Torx screw. Its a torx screw with a peice of metal in the middle. I need a screwdriver to remove this thing... any ideas.. was the dude at Canadian tire just BS'n me. Please help,

^^ BTW the guy at Canadian Tire said i couldn't find anything like that there or anywhere probably.. once again help is much appreciated.

One extra off topic bit off advice.....NEVER LISTEN TO ANYTHING OR EVEN TALK TO PEOPLE THAT WORK AT CANADIAN TIRE.......they all ride the short bus to work.

gearbox 08-26-2006 08:14 PM

dont you mean crappy-tire lol

DeX 08-26-2006 09:50 PM

Why don't you just call the cops and ask them to bring their ticket book to your house?

jester444 09-01-2006 09:51 PM

Gee, there's a real intelligent post. Do you have any idea what's going on here? He's not painting the headlights black.

DeX 09-01-2006 11:58 PM

haha sorry, my original intent was for him to call the cops and ask about the legalities before he got into ruining his headlights, but it turned into what I posted! I thought it was more funny than pointless.

jester444 09-02-2006 10:21 PM

No worries. Happens to the best of us.