General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Broken door handle/ lock cyclinder replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda01 will become famous soon enoughHonda01 will become famous soon enough
Broken door handle/ lock cyclinder replacement

Does anyone have a DIY - or should I TRY to peice one together?
BEFORE i get flamed, hear me out - there is nothing when I searched...

I broke the drivers side door handel, and I figured to replace it would be just like replacing it on my 91 civic, just slightly more involved... I followed the door panel removal DIY - all was good.
I undid the screws and rods in the back of the handle connecting the door handle to the car - all was good... I figured it would pop right out... WRONG

There is a little C clip (exactly like the ones used to hold manual window cranks to the door)... 1) I couldn't see this, I only knew it was there from looking at the space in my new one. 2) Even though I figured out it was there, it wasn't accesable at all!!

I had to use a dremel on the outside of the door handle and cut away most of it, so that the locking mechanism, and the 'C' clamp that held it there was accessable.
Once it was out, I could pop the clamp out, take everything out, replace it, and with some luck managed to get that clamp back in - I hope it never breaks again!
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Honda01
Does anyone have a DIY - or should I TRY to peice one together?
BEFORE i get flamed, hear me out - there is nothing when I searched...

I broke the drivers side door handel, and I figured to replace it would be just like replacing it on my 91 civic, just slightly more involved... I followed the door panel removal DIY - all was good.
I undid the screws and rods in the back of the handle connecting the door handle to the car - all was good... I figured it would pop right out... WRONG

There is a little C clip (exactly like the ones used to hold manual window cranks to the door)... 1) I couldn't see this, I only knew it was there from looking at the space in my new one. 2) Even though I figured out it was there, it wasn't accesable at all!!

I had to use a dremel on the outside of the door handle and cut away most of it, so that the locking mechanism, and the 'C' clamp that held it there was accessable.
Once it was out, I could pop the clamp out, take everything out, replace it, and with some luck managed to get that clamp back in - I hope it never breaks again!
Thank you, now I don't fell so stupid for takeing 2 hours to find and remove that clip!
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

Honda01 will become famous soon enoughHonda01 will become famous soon enough
No sir - that clip was a PAIN IN THE ***!
Sometimes, for all their smarts, I wonder what the f**k Honda was thinking!

...how did you actually get it off without cutting the door handle?
I didn't see how it was possible - once it's pushed up into place, thats it! it wasn't comming out put PULLING - only by pushing it out... and you can only push it out when 1/2 the handle is cut away :P
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
lmao. wow iw anted to take mine out and have them painted. now id ont know..

sounds like honda though.
only 3 ways of removal:
- its eithers a few screws.
- grab and pull
- goo dluck getting it off cause were honda and have the tools and the rest of u are fooked mwahahahah

but i dont wanan take mine out now