General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Before I swap my gauge cluster.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005
- hella tite y0 -

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nice
Before I swap my gauge cluster.....

Tomorrow I'm going to swap out my gauge cluster for an EX one. Just wondering if theres anything I should know before I start. I know I have to rewire them, and can I just pull the wires out or do I have to cut them. Thanks inadvance, and heres a pic:
Old 08-24-2005
Registered!!

85356 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont cut the wires, there is a tool you can use to push the wire out, then you just have to relocate them to the correct place. I did this on my 04vp it only took about an hour or so. Good Luck
Old 08-24-2005
- hella tite y0 -

s0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nices0ltker is just really nice
do you have any idea what the tool is called?
Old 08-24-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i just used a screwdriver to open both sides of each connector. Then you can pull on the wire with pliars.
Old 08-24-2005
- hella tite y0 -

thx, hopefully I'll start it tomorrow after work. I'll post pics later that evening.
Old 08-24-2005
I haven't been here in a long time

mkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the rough
someone should post a diy on this. i would like one
Old 08-24-2005
- hella tite y0 -

there is...

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=149242

and this one sort of..... basically the same for us VP owners

http://temp.dirtysamurai.com/gauge/convert.html
Old 08-24-2005
I haven't been here in a long time

mkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the rough
awesome thanks...i feel like a n00b for not searching.

well i kinda still am but not to the internet.
Old 08-25-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
uNPLUG THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2005
Crack kills... But then again... So do I...

notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
Good luck... Hard to differentiate wire colors. I just used a really small screwdriver and some needle-nose pliers. Don't pull too hard or you can pull the wire from the little metal plug.
Old 08-25-2005
Premium Member

ya i stripped the wire a couple times. just put some e-tape over it.
Old 08-25-2005
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point
when i did mine, i had a friend help me. he read which colored wire had to go next, and i just plugged them in. alot easier than doing it yourself
Old 08-25-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by s0ltker
do you have any idea what the tool is called?
Yeah its called an extraction tool. It looks like this

Last edited by 85356; 08-25-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2005
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
i would get the extractor tool. i learned the hard way (not with my guages) that if the screwdriver is just alittle big it will warp the plastic clip and all the pins will be loose and fall out.
Old 08-29-2005
- hella tite y0 -

Yeah its called an extraction tool. It looks like this
Do you have any idea where I could buy that tool. I tried taking the wires out without the tool with no luck, prolly something I'm doing wrong. Can someone point me in the right direction if not using the extraction tool. Thanks
Old 09-01-2005
- hella tite y0 -

^^^^ bump
need some help here
Old 09-01-2005
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
My extraction tool was just one of the big paperclips. I just bent it straight and pushed the wire out. It's much cheaper and works just as good.
Old 09-01-2005
Premium Member

does your oil pressure light come on when you first turn car on cause mine doesn't.
Old 09-01-2005
- hella tite y0 -

My extraction tool was just one of the big paperclips. I just bent it straight and pushed the wire out. It's much cheaper and works just as good.
thanks, i'll give it a try this weekend.
Old 09-04-2005
- hella tite y0 -

I tried the paperclip, didnt work. If anyone has any ideas that could help please respond. Even better if someone in FL can help me out, I could go there, or could come to me.

Also wondering if the 01-03 gauges are a direct plug in and if they are I'll trade someone or sell my 04/05 gauges as a last resort.
Old 09-04-2005
Premium Member

i just pulled em with pliars. Did you unclip each side of the plug already? The plugs are the same but only 01-02, and 03-05 clusters can swap without rewiring.
Old 09-04-2005
- hella tite y0 -

ya i've unclipped the wire harness from the cluster, but with no luck could I get the wires out. Did you use anything else besides pillars, or just pillars only. How small of pillars are they?

My VP is and 05, but since the gauges arent LEDs like the LX and EX, I figured the harness should be the same with the 01-03s, but I'm not sure. I'd rather have the 05 EX cluster that I have here.
Old 09-04-2005
Premium Member

just needle nose pliars. I had to pull straight out with alot of force. Stripped a few and had to put tape around the wire part. new vp = older style gauges like 01-02. 03-05 are the led based clusters.
Old 09-04-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by s0ltker
I tried the paperclip, didnt work. If anyone has any ideas that could help please respond. Even better if someone in FL can help me out, I could go there, or could come to me.
Go to a computer shop or an electronic store and ask for an extraction tool, man they are only like 6 or 7 bucks it will make your job so easy, you wont strip any wires or nothin like that.
Old 09-04-2005
- hella tite y0 -

I tried Radio Shack but they didnt have it, I'll check my local computer shops tomorrow, if no luck I guess I'll try the pillars. Thanks guys
Old 09-04-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
nice i love mine
Old 12-10-2005
Registered!!

kickoo is an unknown quantity at this point
i cant fint an extraction tool
Old 12-10-2005
Premium Member

computer parts store? you may need to goto a small shop not best buy
Old 12-12-2005
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point
did you make sure to pull the plastic tab before trying to pull the wires out? i forgot to do that when i was doing mine, so i wasted about 30 minutes just trying to pull the wires out. and if you decide to use the paperclip, use the big paper clip. and you have to push and pull the clips at the same time. good luck