General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Pulley making weird sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdm_bb is an unknown quantity at this point
Pulley making weird sound

I am using the aem tru power pulley kit with the unorthodox crank pulley,
but there's a weird noise sounds is like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
what is causing this sound? and i have had this for a while but before i had a striaght pipe exhaust with no cat so i couldn't really hear it, but now the exhaust is off the car and the sound is really annoying. would it be the belt is worn? or the pulley is damage? or have anyone experience the same problem?
Any advice? thanks
Old 07-11-2005
Registered!!

anyone?
Old 07-11-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
hows the oil level of your power steering?
Old 07-11-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
maybe your alternator going out? Mine did that just before the battery light came on.
Old 07-11-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
i bet the crank pulley has something to do with it.
Old 07-11-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
haha yea thats a bad sign. Maybe your bearings are spinning?
Old 07-11-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
i believe if you put a new pulley kit you need a new belt for the pulley kit. so try that.
Old 07-12-2005
Registered!!

would it be possible to just fix the bearing and yea i was thinking about the belt too?
should i just change the belt to see if it works because the belt is much cheaper right?
how much do those belts go for ?
thanks
Old 07-12-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
could be power steering pump low on oil or going out , alt starting to go. or maybe a belt slipping. I would try tightening the belts. then take a listen and try to pinpoint the source of the noise. have someone turn the wheel while your car is idling and listen under the hood to the ps pump to see if it gets loulder.
Old 07-12-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
i got the money on needing new belts.
Old 07-13-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by djmota
could be power steering pump low on oil or going out , alt starting to go. or maybe a belt slipping. I would try tightening the belts. then take a listen and try to pinpoint the source of the noise. have someone turn the wheel while your car is idling and listen under the hood to the ps pump to see if it gets loulder.
ok thanks i will try that out to see if it works, and for the belt slipping is it usuall? and how long can these last for let's said brand new? and do you have any idea on how much it would go for?
Old 07-13-2005
Premium Member

the only thing that makes me think its the belts slipping is that you have aluminum pullies all the way around. these tend to slip easier than the stock steel units. Slipping belts are easily fixed by tightening them up a bit. They ususlly make a screeching noise and not the buzz you described. if you can't figure it out let a mechanic take a listen and give you his opinion. it may be a normal sound. its almost impossible to tell by someones typed description.
Old 07-13-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by djmota
the only thing that makes me think its the belts slipping is that you have aluminum pullies all the way around. these tend to slip easier than the stock steel units. Slipping belts are easily fixed by tightening them up a bit. They ususlly make a screeching noise and not the buzz you described. if you can't figure it out let a mechanic take a listen and give you his opinion. it may be a normal sound. its almost impossible to tell by someones typed description.
ok I guess i have to take it to the shop and check it out
thanks for everyone that help me out