General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chibitul is an unknown quantity at this point
speedometer

Hi Gang,

I bought a 1997 Civic LX, 113k miles. I checked the CARFAX report, the odometer is OK. The previous owner had all the records, they matched CARFAX. So I know the dodmeter/speedometer unit has not been tampered with.

Now the odometer works fine: the "old" car (Civic 2001) indicates 5.1 miles from home to work, the "new" car (1997) indicates the same. So it's not a question about loose cable, wrong tire size, etc.

But I think the speedometer indicates way more: I think it shouws 30 mph when I really do only 20 mph, and maybe 45 when I do 30-35, need to check this (I will drive in one car, the wife in the other car, and we'll talk on the cell phones).

I am not sure about highway, I believe there the error is smaller (5 miles maybe?). Again, I would have to check with my other car.

Is there an easy way to fix it, without tampering with the odometer unit?
Is this something that HONDA might cover even if the warranty is long gone? Could it be considered a "safety" issue (like the Seat belts which seem to be under warranty forever?).

Thanks folks, you are great! Last time I had a problem, you guys were SPOT ON! Just as good as the CARTALK guys on NPR!!!

have a nice weekend!

--
chibitul
Old 06-25-2005
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
you can take it in to the dealership for a test. I had a problem with my 97 accord spedo it was 10 mph off when I got a ticket for speeding once. They testing it on some machine similar to a dyno then adjusted or replaced something i'm not sure.