General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

regrind from Gude?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomola is an unknown quantity at this point
regrind from Gude?

I'm thinking to get the regrind done from Gude, they specify that idle is 'OK' and cam makes power 7500+.

Now, I will running stock ECU with VAFCII + CAM GEAR and want to tune the max power down to around 7000 RPM to get the most from it (due to rev limiter). From what I understand (Doing this on a DYNO) the timing can be advanced untill the top end has been brought down to around 7000 whilst in the mean time increasing the torque. More or less how much degree advancing would be needed to bring HP down 500 RPM?

Also with this kind of setup will the stock springs/retainers be fine for the job?

Last edited by Tomola; 06-10-2005 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Guge?? Do you mean Gude? I would stay away from cam regrinds for reliability reasons. Get the new one from crower that just came out and tune on the dyno with cam gear. I would not adjust cam timing more than a few degrees. I would goto exospeed.com for pnp head work, maxbore.com for tb work.

off topic...would you be able to get me a skunk2 cam gear. that e-mail you gave isn't responding and the other site i bought aem from isn't either. I really need one and so far i'm just losing money and getting nowhere. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
Guge?? Do you mean Gude? I would stay away from cam regrinds for reliability reasons. Get the new one from crower that just came out and tune on the dyno with cam gear. I would not adjust cam timing more than a few degrees. I would goto exospeed.com for pnp head work, maxbore.com for tb work.

off topic...would you be able to get me a skunk2 cam gear. that e-mail you gave isn't responding and the other site i bought aem from isn't either. I really need one and so far i'm just losing money and getting nowhere. Thanks.
Dude I have a D17A1 - So I don't have a choice, I am getting a regrind!

But you say to not retard timing to much, hmm so maybe I might be better off getting a more of a mild regrind and doing less cam advancing.
Old 06-10-2005
Registered!!

It's QJP email them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2215.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	55372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2217.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	55373  

Last edited by Tomola; 06-10-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-10-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks yea I forgot you have an lx. Okay so regrind, 3 degree advanced timing (only a guess, it would have to be done on a dyno). And don't forget the retainer set is required. If you machine the head, timing will need to be advanced another 1-2 degrees as well.
Old 06-10-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
get a regrind from crower instead. Gude is a questionable company. Since we have a roller type rocker setup on our engines you don't have to worry about the whole "regrind dependability" issue.
Old 06-11-2005
Registered!!

Thanks yea I forgot you have an lx. Okay so regrind, 3 degree advanced timing (only a guess, it would have to be done on a dyno). And don't forget the retainer set is required. If you machine the head, timing will need to be advanced another 1-2 degrees as well.
thats what I was thinking so approx 4-6 degrees advance with all the stuff done. Dahm looking forward to it! Should be a hell of alot more torquery with the uped comp + the timing.

Originally Posted by djmota
get a regrind from crower instead. Gude is a questionable company. Since we have a roller type rocker setup on our engines you don't have to worry about the whole "regrind dependability" issue.
yeah i'll email crower and see how much it'g gonna cost to get a cam to me.
Old 06-11-2005
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
how do u plan on getting to 7k
Old 06-11-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by C2i0v0i1C
how do u plan on getting to 7k
When I say 7k I mean 6800 Our Rev Limiter.

Because aftermarket EMS are so bloody expensive! I probably wont be even looking at them for another 12-18months or at least untill I have completed everything which is listed in 'red' in my signature.

Last edited by Tomola; 06-11-2005 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-21-2005
Registered!!

EM2typeflex is an unknown quantity at this point
^^Hey tomola, I'll vouch for Gude on their good pricing. Haven't tried out my Gude head package yet, but when I do I'll post.
Old 08-21-2005
Premium Member

Gude is a garbage company. Everyone here who tried their packages lost hp.
Old 08-21-2005
Registered!!

EM2typeflex is an unknown quantity at this point
^^that sux, i paid $900 for the cylinder head p&p, but since the people swapping my car send in the whole cylinder head, they regrinded the cams as well for free. their bad. now i guess i gotts see for myself if they're really as bad as alot of people say they are.
Old 08-21-2005
Premium Member

ya maybe they learned and will do it better. good luck with it.
Old 08-21-2005
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
ya maybe they learned and will do it better. good luck with it.
i wouldn't chance it
Old 08-21-2005
Premium Member

haha yea but it can't be as bad as DH racing thats for sure!
Old 08-21-2005
Crawlin Similar To An Ant Low To Da Earth

Nokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura about
NO roller rockers on the LX ...i just did a EX head swap and the EX has em and the LX don't. Just a little FYI