General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Adjusting throttle cable...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
Adjusting throttle cable...

i want to do this. does it make the car quicker or respond quicker at all?? and if anyone can tell me how to do it i would really appreciate it. thanks!
Old 01-29-2005
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
ok first off....SEARCH. there are at least 2-4 threads on this and in the DIY section.
secondly, i did it, and then i undid it. it doesnt do much. i dont hvae a 5 spd so i cant speak for them but i do have an auto and it doesnt do anything. its the placebo affect. u think it feels better cuz thats wut u expect. but it isnt. believe me. some guys say to remove the gas pedal backing plate. i havent done that but it makes more sense. this way u can just press down on the pedla to reach WOT. IMO dont mess with the throttle cable.
Old 01-29-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Tightening the throttle cable is like basic maintenance. And there's already a good diy.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=168120
Old 01-29-2005
Go Team Venture!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light

and theres a pic for future searchers that turn up this thread and dont know where it is
Old 01-30-2005
Banned

koolaidman is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by civicrice
i want to do this. does it make the car quicker or respond quicker at all?? and if anyone can tell me how to do it i would really appreciate it. thanks!
no it wont make ur car respond quicker...if u want to make ur engine respond quicker...balance the engine...dotn i dont sugest it because it will pre maturly wear out ur tc
Old 01-31-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by hotrodcivic2004
ok first off....SEARCH. there are at least 2-4 threads on this and in the DIY section.
secondly, i did it, and then i undid it. it doesnt do much. i dont hvae a 5 spd so i cant speak for them but i do have an auto and it doesnt do anything. its the placebo affect. u think it feels better cuz thats wut u expect. but it isnt. believe me. some guys say to remove the gas pedal backing plate. i havent done that but it makes more sense. this way u can just press down on the pedla to reach WOT. IMO dont mess with the throttle cable.

Exactly, that is what you have to do. I may be the only one who has done it, nobody else has ever said anything about it. About 3 years ago I took it off, nothing wrong at all, I reach WOT, and there is a better acceleration since you can reach WOT. A little, not much. It wont give you HP or anything.

Just look under your gas pedal, where it hits the floor there is a black piece of plastic. You need to take the bolts off of it, remove the black piece, and throw it away (or save it for some reason??). You wont need the piece again. I wont tighten the cable, since I dont want it to come loose, or not reach WOT, or have it too tightened. Removing the black piece is the proper way, w/o damaging, and your car will not be so sensitive when you are in rush hour. When you want WOT, just press the gas down more, which you will get used to quick.
Old 01-31-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
My car still reaches wot without removing the plastic piece.
Old 01-31-2005

Im not saying it wont, I feel a lot safer driving without the pointless piece of plastic than risking something coming loose, or being a little too tight. Im just saying they put that piece there to keep you from reaching WOT. They didnt leave too much slack, just placed that piece under there. Both ways work, but IMO I wouldnt tighten the throttle cable. When I drive in rush hour (every day a few times a day) I dont want to have the extra jumpiness and rear end somebody. My car drives like stock how it is now, and it still reaches WOT when I need it to. My way just makes it so you dont have to mess with any cables or things that most people wouldnt trust themselves doing.
Old 01-31-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
Im not saying it wont, I feel a lot safer driving without the pointless piece of plastic than risking something coming loose, or being a little too tight. Im just saying they put that piece there to keep you from reaching WOT. They didnt leave too much slack, just placed that piece under there. Both ways work, but IMO I wouldnt tighten the throttle cable. When I drive in rush hour (every day a few times a day) I dont want to have the extra jumpiness and rear end somebody. My car drives like stock how it is now, and it still reaches WOT when I need it to. My way just makes it so you dont have to mess with any cables or things that most people wouldnt trust themselves doing.
there is a reason y that plastic piece is there...the only real peron who knows is the engeineer
Old 01-31-2005
Premium Member

maybe so you don't break the throttle cable pressing the gas that far
Old 01-31-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by gearbox
i wouldnt adjust it...there are specs and reasons y its set like that...if u alter it

UR TC WILL STRETCH AND EVEUTUALLY SNAP
Old 02-01-2005
Registered!!

Mike4831 is an unknown quantity at this point
It is going to make your ideal higher if you don't do it right. And in GA if your idle (On a warm engine) is higher than 1,000 RPMs you will fail your inspection.
Old 02-01-2005
small cities make me poop my pants

Draven2 is a jewel in the roughDraven2 is a jewel in the roughDraven2 is a jewel in the rough
What the hell is WOT?!?!?!
Old 02-01-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven2
What the hell is WOT?!?!?!
wide open throttle
Old 02-01-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
My little black piece has been off for about 3 years. I have slammed the gas down further than I even thought I could get it down, and it is perfectly fine. You have to deal with adjusting idle and all that with adjusting the cable. If your way works for you, thats cool. I'll just keep mine how it is. I feel completely safe that it will NOT break from what I did. Im not trying to be rude or anything, just saying what I did
Old 02-01-2005
Banned

any one know how to adjust the kick down cable on our car?
Old 02-01-2005
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
My little black piece has been off for about 3 years. I have slammed the gas down further than I even thought I could get it down, and it is perfectly fine. You have to deal with adjusting idle and all that with adjusting the cable. If your way works for you, thats cool. I'll just keep mine how it is. I feel completely safe that it will NOT break from what I did. Im not trying to be rude or anything, just saying what I did
even though i switched back my throttle cable cuz it made no difference, you actually dont have to mess with the idle, it only messes with the idle if you tighten to the point that the throttle plate pushes on the idle plate rather then just touch the 2. the idle cable can also be adjusted, though i dont know anyone that would want to.