General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Question for Header Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEMcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Question for Header Gurus

I’ve read almost every post on headers that I could find. Some say headers make a difference, others say they don’t. Now I know that most headers are only the top half b/c the downpipe is welded to the cat. Is the factory downpipe keeping the 2k1 from getting the full gain from the addition of headers? Would it be better to have a custom exhaust manifold made that would replace both pieces(top half & downpipe)? I know that this may be expensive, but I was just wondering if you guys think there would be that big of a difference.
Old 12-05-2001
Registered!!

antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
It all depends man....are you just wanting headers, or do you plan on giving it sdome buddies, like an intake and a cat-back ?
If you plan on getting the intake and cat-back, you should definitely get some headers. I have the DC ceramic 4-1 headers, and I could tell as soon as I drove off that I had them on. If you just get headers, they probably won't do much if anything at all....you need all three to get the full effect. As far as the downpipe...it does suck that it's on the way it is, but you could always do some custom work. There's nothing wrong with that !! But to answer your question...YES, it does keep the civic from getting a lot of power from the headers....it's because they are ULEV vehicles also.
Old 12-05-2001
Registered!!

AEMcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I already have my exhaust with 2" piping from the converter back. After alot of thought, I've decided to order the Injen Race Division intake. Mainly because I like how it actually is housed in the bumper instead of the bottom of the engine compartment (AEM). I wanted to get headers next, but I was just wondering about the whole top half bottom half thing. Thanks for the reply.