General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

04 ex, 7400 miles, are my shocks bust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kiwi133 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry 04 ex, 7400 miles, are my shocks bust?

Ok so mom was saying that she had an oil smell comeing from the vents after her scheduled maintinance was done, so I took it for a drive to see what it was. Not like its related to the title of the thread but it was just spilled antifreeze.

My little drive made me wish first off that my civic was built as well as her 04 base corolla. Don't get me wrong, my honda is built great, but toyota is just god of build quality. Closeing the hood sounds like shutting the car door, whfump! and the interior materials just have more substance to them.

Anyway, I remeber when I drove my moms car right before I got mine, then drove mine and was like wow this thing handles and rides alot better. it maybe wasn't as smooth as the corolla overal, but it was way more controlled and precise, regaining composure and stability instantly after any whoopdedoo in the road. Turning was also flat and effortless as being drawn through the turn.

Upon driving the corolla if found myself amazed by a few things that I had initially been amazed by my car for.
*Despite the corolla's hight, damn thing doesn't lean. Very flat during sharp turns (comparitively mine now lobs its weight too and frow during direction change)
*driving over 30mph speed "humps" the corolla smoothed it away and was done moveing as soon as it past the hump. (my civic now makes what is effectively a weak swan dive, ramping up the incline of the hump and plowing down the end of the hump, not really bouncing afterward but rather being slow to respond to the now smooth road)
*driving along an undulating road repaired enough to have layed a new one, no wait, it only undulates and kicks in the civic.

The corolla's suspension held control and composure which very quickly showed the limits of the wimpy tires on that thing.
My civic would still whoop up on that corolla, but would do so in a very sloppy manner.

rant off.

Whats the deal?! Is it possible my shocks are wearing out in 7400 miles? All stock so warrenty power to me, but how worn out do the shocks have to be before honda deems them bad?
I have done a bounce test when parked and passed with flying colors.
Have the shocks not gone bad, but somehow changed?

Old 07-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Well, my car does the same. It's 1 year old. It did that since day one. I don't think there is anything wrong with the car. If the shocks have failed you should see an oil leak from around the piston area.