General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

ATF change more often...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jahernandez is an unknown quantity at this point
ATF change more often...

I changed my ATF on my Civic at 2,500 miles and 5,000 miles. Here is the reason...and feel free to challenge. When a tranny is breaking in, a lot of metal shards are being created. Theoretically, the fluid now contains metal which heats up faster than fluid thus impairing my tranny performance. When I changed it at 2,500 miles there was plenty of metal that came out. Not so much at 5,000 though. But I also plan on changing my ATF every 10,000-15,000 miles because ATF is used to not only lube but cool the tranny. I don't know about you all, but I drive my cars hard. $12 for the fluid is cheap insurance I think. Oh, and I also did this method on my last car which was a Nissan Maxima. It's tranny last till 247,000 miles. Anyone else do this?
Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
It sound like a good idea to me.
Automatic transmissions don't have a filter or a magnet thing (can't quite remember the name) so more crap floats around.
If you look in your manual it recommends A/Ts have more frequent changes than M/T.
Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
The automatic trannies do have a magnet, on the drain bolt.
Old 06-26-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Yes, it's a VERY good idea.
Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by streetglower
The automatic trannies do have a magnet, on the drain bolt.
I stand corrected.
Old 06-26-2004
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
" Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it. "

Isn't that the truth.....
Old 06-26-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I changed mine once at 18k. Wish I had done it sooner, cause there was alot of metal pieces in there. Mostly on the magnet, but still our trannies are so fragile.
Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Do you all flush it out like the manaul says, drain/refill 3 times then a final time, or just drain and refill.
Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

I was just curious, did you all just add 3 quarts in? I did. The manaul says 2.9, but I just emptied 3 quarts in there. Maybe I will check it tomorrow and see if I need to add anymore.
Old 06-26-2004
Registered!!

jahernandez is an unknown quantity at this point
When I changed it at 2,500 and 5,000, all I did was drain and refill (once)...and cleaned off the metal shavings from the drain bolt. Yeah, I also just dumped in 3 qts and ignored the .1 difference in what the manual says.
Old 06-27-2004
Registered!!

I just bought a whole new bolt and washer from honda. Was about $14. I shouldn't of even payed for it. At the honda I went to, the parts counter is on one side of the wall from the cashier, so they tell you to go around the corner and pay the cashier. I coulda just walked out, but I didnt, I have integrity.