General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

How Can you change the Gear Ratios........

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
How Can you change the Gear Ratios........

i think that's what it is but anyways im asking this question for a friend that's next to me right now so don't flame "ME" hahahahaha....but anyways on the question....

You know how on a stick car (our civic) in first normally it redlines at ohhhh i dunno 25 -30mph i don't really pay attention but how would you get it to redline at a higher speed? like at 40mph? different tranny? or could you adjust your stock tranny to do it?

that's the question can you adjust the stock tranny or get a new one of some sort (if that's how you would change it that is )

My Friend thinks you can adjust the stock tranny to redline at higher speeds.....?!?!?!?! He's talking about his Ford Ranger.
Old 06-04-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
whats the point of redlining at higher speeds? that only leads to slower acceleration.

there are two things you can accomplish with adjusting the gear ratio:

1. adjust it for slow acceleration, but higher top speed (maybe 140-150 mph, i dont know)
2. adjust it for very fast acceleration, but slow top speed (about 90-100mph or so)
Old 06-04-2004
Premium Member

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
Originally Posted by abmerop18
whats the point of redlining at higher speeds? that only leads to slower acceleration.

there are two things you can accomplish with adjusting the gear ratio:

1. adjust it for slow acceleration, but higher top speed (maybe 140-150 mph, i dont know)
2. adjust it for very fast acceleration, but slow top speed (about 90-100mph or so)

hmmm i didn't see a answer in that but maybe i didn't ask the question right.....

Can anyone adjust there stock tranny to redline at a different speed? just stock mind you?

he just wants to know if it could be done?

Last edited by Mr.Modify; 06-04-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
not to my knowledge, but im sure its possible if $$$$ isn't a ?
Old 06-04-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
you need different gears. i know with the 6thgens they had different gears you can drop in to adjust it.
Old 06-04-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Cheapest way is taller tires. Go past that, get a smaller final drive (stock is 4.111 or 4.411 depending on LX/DX or EX), then just start swapping gears in the transmission... This gets difficult because you need to get all the gears to work with each other so they seamlessly upshift... you don't want the car falling flat on its face because you make a 2-3 upshift and it falls to 2500 RPMs.
Old 06-04-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
ur not just going to press a button and the stock tranny magically change ratios, ur going to have to take the tranny apart, get new gears, have the bearings pressed back in, and its going to cost u alot of money, that is un necessary, unless u for some reason have a huge HP car
Old 06-04-2004
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
Then again, you could always get a CVT tranny. Endless gear ratios right there.
Old 06-05-2004
Don't drink and post, you will end up hilarious.

Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
correct me if im wrong but for a Ford Ranger wouldnt it just be easier to change the gears in his rear end ?instead of tearing apart the trans
Old 06-05-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Got Boost???
correct me if im wrong but for a Ford Ranger wouldnt it just be easier to change the gears in his rear end ?instead of tearing apart the trans
Yes it would