General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

K&N FIPKII question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Question K&N FIPKII question

Just a question about the FIPKII. K&N claims to add 4.8 HP @ 6,200 rpm.

So my question is this:
Since it adds power, of course that means more air is being flowed into the engine, which means more fuel is being burned to make that extra power. So does that mean if I was to put the FIPKII on my car, that my fuel mileage would worsen? I know that the drop in filter is supposed to add power as well, but at the same time increase fuel economy. With gas prices climbing every week it seems, this is now an issue for me. So to sum it up, will installing the FIPKII (or any SRI for that case) cause me to lose fuel mileage, or will it either not change it or possibly even improve it? Thanks

Last edited by Majarvis; 05-24-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2004
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
I get 28-32 mpg aggressivly driving and racing.

I got bet 1/4mile times with the K & N FIPII than the AEM CAI I had before.

K & N FIPK II outperforms all.
Old 05-24-2004
Registered!!

Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Thanks, so you didn't notice a difference in your fuel mileage over stock?
Old 05-24-2004
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
not really.
Old 05-24-2004
Registered!!

skarteez is an unknown quantity at this point
ive always been fond of the FipkII but its design is what gets me. being an open filter design, im suprised there isnt any torque loss. i noticed that the tubing is smaller in diameter AND its plastic with the heat shield. do all those contribute to such a great gain and no torque loss? whoooooooooooooo
Old 05-24-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Majarvis
Just a question about the FIPKII. K&N claims to add 4.8 HP @ 6,200 rpm.

So my question is this:
Since it adds power, of course that means more air is being flowed into the engine, which means more fuel is being burned to make that extra power. So does that mean if I was to put the FIPKII on my car, that my fuel mileage would worsen? I know that the drop in filter is supposed to add power as well, but at the same time increase fuel economy. With gas prices climbing every week it seems, this is now an issue for me. So to sum it up, will installing the FIPKII (or any SRI for that case) cause me to lose fuel mileage, or will it either not change it or possibly even improve it? Thanks
My mileage improved a little bit with the K&N FIPK. Like .5 MPG.

-Kre
Old 05-24-2004
Registered!!

Ok cool thanks guys, it's nice to know that it doesn't decrease the mileage!
Old 05-24-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I just got mine on, so I'll report back later. Very nice in that low end stays the same and there isn't that much noise. Not like my old ricer AEM SRI.
Old 05-24-2004
Registered!!

Thanks, I look forward to your findings
Old 05-25-2004
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Ive had mine on for almost a year, as far as gas mileage, if there was a difference, it wasnt enough for me to notice either way, & I monitor that stuff pretty well.

As far as power...if your into any kind of road racing/autoX, get it, it boosts more midrange, from like 3k - 6k from what Ive noticed. Not a whole bunch, but enough to notice. Actualy, it feels kinda like weight reduction...you know like when a whole bunch of people are riding in your car & they get out...youre like ahhhh, sooo much beter..hehe So it probably is on par with the 5hp claim.

Oh yea, sounds good too.

Last edited by jiggerachi; 05-25-2004 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-31-2004
Registered!!

munfai23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

I love the FIPK II, heard comments abt it not being loud. Actually I like it less noisy, is it a lot louder than stock ??
Old 05-31-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, it gets pretty loud. I can hear it all the time with the ported head work. But I lost power going back to stock, so I'll live with the noise. Not as bad as the other intakes, however.
Old 06-05-2004
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
gearbox i have an aem sri and its not bad
Old 06-05-2004
Premium Member

Yeah I think the head work is pulling more air, so it's especially louder at high rpms.