General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Can I remove the heat shield from my manifold safely?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I remove the heat shield from my manifold safely?

Basically I dont like it, its rusted out a bit and looks like garbage. Would removing it entirely cause any problems or excessive heat to form under the hood? I am going to paint over the header with some high heat resistant paint to silver it up. Im sure you all know what I am mentioning, its the metal plate right behind the grill over the header.
Old 03-27-2004
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
It'll raise the underhood temp a little, but not enough to effect anything. The header is going to be rusted too, and the rust will tend to show it's way through most paints eventually.

You need stuff like this: http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...1.x=20&I1.y=70

And if you want to make it perfect... go to Powdercoating Enterprises on Pepe's Farm Rd. in Milford. I used to work there. They should be able to hook you up with sandblasting the rust off. (Or you can sit there for a while and try to sand it down).
Old 03-27-2004
Registered!!

thanks for the info. I think I might try just pulling off the cover and sanding it down to get the rust spots off giving it that steel wool type of finish.
Old 03-27-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The heat shield doesn't look that good anyway. Maybe if the paint doesn't work, you can wrap the header with high heat thermal tape. That would keep the heat inside the pipes.

Anyway let me know if it works.
Old 03-27-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Okay, I did some checking and thermal wrap is VERY bad for headers. They will trap in heat and make to header metal too hot. Big problems. Have you thought about just getting a ceramic aftermarket header? That would keep enough heat away from the engine bay.
Old 03-27-2004
Premium Member

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
^^ Agreed, removing the heat shield will not greatly effect your car in any aspect. Although I agree that it may look better with it off, I would suggest leaving it on.......just because.

As for the heat wrap....it sucks. Although it does keep heat out of your engine bay, it traps way to much heat in your exhaust that's not meant to be kept in there.

Get a Ceramic Header, you will notice a great difference in engine bay heat when your pop your hood.
Old 03-28-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
how often do people see your engine compartment? i would not remove the heat shield. if it really bothers you, id get a new shield for like 30 bucks, and send it out to get coated so it wont rust
Old 03-28-2004
Registered!!

i dont open my hood often, but it bugs me to see rust, so I am gonna clean off the spots if I can and freshen it up a bit.
Old 03-28-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
I took off my heat shield, sanded it and cleaned it really well to take off rust and debris because the rust was bothering me too. I then put about 5 coats of Gloss Black Ceramic Engine paint on the heat shield and it looks great. It also is very easy to clean off any dirt that gets on there. That could also be another alternative.
Old 03-28-2004
The Evil Genius

Quijano187 is on a distinguished road
Its just like rust on your calipars or cleaning the bottom of the exhuast. I would use fine sandpaper and sand it down for a while. Then use high temp paint and give it 5 to 6 coats. Lighly or I will look wrong. Just take your time a do it. Only reason i say anything is Im the same way and do i project almost everyweek and most of it is making sure the car is clean. Anyways go for it
Old 03-28-2004
The Evil Genius

Quijano187 is on a distinguished road
Its just like rust on your calipars or cleaning the bottom of the exhuast. I would use fine sandpaper and sand it down for a while. Then use high temp paint and give it 5 to 6 coats. Lighly or I will look wrong. Just take your time a do it. Only reason i say anything is Im the same way and do i project almost everyweek and most of it is making sure the car is clean. Anyways go for it
Old 03-29-2004
Registered!!

MarkM01 is an unknown quantity at this point
You want to trap as much heat as possible inside your header/manifold. Heat promotes post combustion chamber burn, which is good. Same reason people ceramic coat headers.

The only negative of header wrap, is it can trap moisture and rust out your header without you even knowing it.