General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic03EX is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone have any suggestions on how to get low end torque. Ive searched around and only found a few things but none with the gains being told. Any help would be nice. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
increase the displacement of your engine.
Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

skarteez is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ BWHAHAHAHA!!!

or throw another D17 in the trunk with a rear drivetrain/tranny.

do you have aftermarket intake or anything? stock intake box and resonator gives the best balance between HP and low-end useable torque.
Old 03-27-2004

sw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the rough
no such thing! you drive a honda
Old 03-27-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Keep the stock intake. When I got an AEM short ram, my low end disappeared.

Get the hyper voltage system from optauto.com, and it's even an easy install. I did feel a difference. Car definately jumps off the line a bit faster. More torque, and it even gives better gas mileage.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...&highlight=HVS

Old 03-27-2004
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Yes, keep your stock intake. Stay away from short ram air intakes, they intake hot air and thats power loss all the way through your power band.

Easy trick though... he he he, dump the 17 inch tires, if you have them, go back to stock. get a smaller tire than stock. This effectively lowers your gear ratio and thus will give you what appears to be more power. In my case I had 185/65/15. I'm going for a 205/50/15, it will be about 1 inch diameter less. A 205/45/15 would be even better. If you have the LX/DX, you have 14 inch rims and can go even smaller, which is better yet. But do not down the size of your rims from stock. Also keep in mind this does through off your speedo, about 10% per every inch in diameter.

Sounds funny, but will work, I've done it many times.
Old 03-27-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Good call on rims. I got stock alloys to replace the steelies. 15 inch rims, if they're lighter, will improve acceleration over stock. Bigger rims will really hurt power.
Old 03-27-2004
Shows No Remorse

DistinctiveBP is an unknown quantity at this point
big wheels suck for racing. im gonna give my 17s to my lil sis and get either
rota's, 99-00 si wheels or integra wheels.
they are all cheap and relatively light.
Old 03-27-2004

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
I've been through the stock airbox, turbo, injen SRI, and the K&N FIPK II. The FIPK doesn't seem to take away from any of the low end, and in fact feels a good amount more responsive. It's got a smaller tube than all of the other intakes too which seems to help. That's in my experience anyway.

As far as wheels, my 17" weight a combined 8lbs all togehter over stock. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me (turbo or stock). But I can launch and grab without spinning at a lot higher RPM than stock. But it depends on your tires.

I also have an ACT HD clutch. Stock or whatever, it helps. The clutch grabs earlier, but it reduces the slipping that's in almost all stock clutches (even new ones). So for the time you are waiting for a stock clutch to grab, the ACT is already putting the power to the wheels.
Old 03-27-2004
Shows No Remorse

boosted2k2 im looking into getting a new clutch.
how do you like the ACT?
did you get a new flywheel with it?
Old 03-27-2004
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
that's true... a smaller tube on the intake will give you more low end, but take away from your top end... it has to with the reynolds number of the fluid dynamic flow... yeah, I won't get into that. AS for the top end loss, in a Honda we have lots of top end to spare, so you really don't relize the loss.

As for tires boosted2k2, you probably kept the same diameter from tred to tred as stock, or you put two inches of diameter into the rim, but took it away with the side wall of the tire, so you basically have the same size tire. The only advantage to this is you don't have as much side wall flex so steering becomes more reasponsive. What I am saying to do is to acctually make the diameter from tred to tred smaller. This will mean you will not be able to launch at as high of RPM, all other things equal, including tires. But, you'll run through the gear faster and you'll be alot quicker in second and third gear.

If you are tring to race, then you want the smallest rim possible with large sidewalls to adsorb the torque, or wrinkle the tires, but this sucks for handling. So yes you'll will burnout faster and chirp gears easier, but the offset of the lower gearing ratio will be worth it.
Old 03-28-2004

Originally posted by DistinctiveBP
boosted2k2 im looking into getting a new clutch.
how do you like the ACT?
did you get a new flywheel with it?
I've never had a problem with ACT. I've had it on the Honda, and on my previous Nissan. Both have seen plenty of NYC bumper to bumper traffic, and they haven't ever overheated on me. I've beat on them too, stock and turbo, and they still drive as good as the day I put it in. The difference between stock to get use to is the point the clutch engages, but I got used to that by the end of the first day. I didn't get a new flywheel though.
Old 03-28-2004

Originally posted by Jrfish007

As for tires boosted2k2, you probably kept the same diameter from tred to tred as stock, or you put two inches of diameter into the rim, but took it away with the side wall of the tire, so you basically have the same size tire. The only advantage to this is you don't have as much side wall flex so steering becomes more reasponsive. What I am saying to do is to acctually make the diameter from tred to tred smaller. This will mean you will not be able to launch at as high of RPM, all other things equal, including tires. But, you'll run through the gear faster and you'll be alot quicker in second and third gear.
Yeah, I went up 3" in the rim and reduced the sidewall, but still the same tread to tread. (205/45-17) I'm more interested in daily driving than racing though. But everything is a tradeoff as you stated.
Old 03-28-2004
Shows No Remorse

Originally posted by Boosted2k2
I've never had a problem with ACT. I've had it on the Honda, and on my previous Nissan. Both have seen plenty of NYC bumper to bumper traffic, and they haven't ever overheated on me. I've beat on them too, stock and turbo, and they still drive as good as the day I put it in. The difference between stock to get use to is the point the clutch engages, but I got used to that by the end of the first day. I didn't get a new flywheel though.
sweeet! cool man! thanks for the response