General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

WHY WOnt it Just STAY!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
WHY WOnt it Just STAY!

I have had my kaminari lip for 2 years now and I really grow tired of double side taping it all the time. No matter what I do it slides down the bumper.
when its too hot the heat expands and it falls. When its raining like today it falls again!
does anyone know what is better than this POS 3m tape thats suppose to keep it up?

this is so not working for me......
yes the 3m tape says all weather! is there anything thats like massively strong?

Last edited by WhiteCastle; 02-23-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2004
Registered!!

Kloverz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
you can screws on the side where the tires walls is, and to ur stock bumber, or clean ur stock bumber really good use a heat gun and heat up the 3mm tape and install, mines work just fine with heat and 3mm. i hope it helps
Old 02-23-2004

keepin_it_clean is an unknown quantity at this point
whitecastle...u need to drill small hole in your wheelwells and screw the front in that way. you see my sig down there, well 2 days after i got it on riding on the interstate, the tape came off, the front piece fell and eventually got stuck underneath my car and drug about 1/4 mile. well needless to say it was ruined. go outside now and screw it in. thx.
Old 02-23-2004
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
If its always falling off, do you have enough screws/double sided tape holding it up? I would use 2 screws on each side, where the wheel well is, and probably another 2 underneath it. On top of that, use 3M 5lb. double sided tape. The tape itself is grey, but you will only see the outside which is red. I bought mine from target, its weather proof. If you apply everything correctly, you should have no problems with it.
Old 02-23-2004

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
I got the screw holes drilled along time ago. its just the lip keeps well sliding down....
will a hair dryer work with that 3m tape part. I am willing to try anything at this point.
I might get so frustrated I'll get a new bumper >.<, but I love the lip sooo much.

so this sound like a good process.
use wax remove the old tape, let it sit for like ten minutes while heating the new 3M tape with a hair dryer. than apply the tape, place woodenblocks under the lip to hold in position and let it cool?

Last edited by WhiteCastle; 02-23-2004 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2004

keepin_it_clean is an unknown quantity at this point
how does the lip slide down if you screwed in the sides to the wheel wells?
Old 02-23-2004

the top part were its suppose to mold to the bumper in the front breaks loose and it hangs out sorta like this /.
Old 02-23-2004
Registered!!

Kloverz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
yea dont trip thats one of the best lip out there,
yea clean ur bumber with water and car soap really good and dry it really good, next take ur old 3mm tape out, this is what i did i double the 3mm two layers of it it works better for me that way and use the hair dyer on hot until you feel the 3mm tape like its melting but not absolute melt tho and install and put pressure on it to while pressing on it
Old 02-23-2004
Registered!!

bickford05 is an unknown quantity at this point
make sure both pieces are really clean.. and it should hold, also if you heat it when you stick it on there the first time hold pressure on it untill it cools.
Old 02-23-2004
Nugget Garage Since 2004

Big Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant future
someone recelty said to use carpet tape to hold it up. Im installing my lip once the snow clears, and thats what someone told me, although im not sure if it is weather proof. Does the 3m tape harm the paint job incase u ever wanted to take the lip off??
So maybe u could try the carpet tape, good luck tho.
Old 02-23-2004

fixed. lets see if it holds up this time!
Old 02-24-2004

about the 3m tape it recomends a maximum hold of 5lbs and it is supposely all weather proof. I have had mine fail in hot days and on rainy days.... it really is cosntant hasel. This is the first time im heating it than apply it. Also totaly squishing it against the bumper, both surfaces have been cleaned.
lets see how long it holds.
I like toyota cars becuase there molding on like the gts comes with weather strips >.<
I almost ordered them to put on my car!
Old 02-24-2004
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
try krazy glue (j/k )

I'm not sure about the design of the lip but is there any place on the part of the lip that touches the bumper that you could possibly put a screw or two?
Old 02-24-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Well, if you're planning on keeping it on permanently do what my body shop did with my lip - they took some urethane in a gun and just squirted a bunch on the inside of my lip. Then they just stuck the lip on, and screwed it on behind the wheel wells. Hasn't come off, looks perfect. Paint's chipped though.
Old 02-25-2004
Registered!!

sakabatou is an unknown quantity at this point
When you are using double face tape is that you will have to check how much surface is actually touching the tape. Put the double face tape on the part that has the least amount of surface contact. If you put to much tape the part of the tape that is not in contact with any meeting surface will let moisture in. Try to use one long piece. Try not to have any gaps on the tape that to will introduce moisture in to the tape. Don’t ever use soap and water in cleaning any thing that you want to glue or tape together. Brake cleaner……that **** works great in cleaning any surface. But be care full not to use too much because it will dull your paint. Spray some on a rag.
Old 02-25-2004
The Legend

blackbullet will become famous soon enoughblackbullet will become famous soon enough
Mold it on. I had the same problem with my sideskirts. Screw 3M tape!!
Old 02-25-2004

molding means that it will crack later on in life as the body flex's. Since I autocross it really isn't the brightest idea.
Old 02-25-2004

I reapplied everything, and so far its holding!