Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Car over heating, idea's?

Old 05-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mitchgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Car over heating, idea's?

I have an 03' Honda Civic EX with 80k Miles on it.

Recently My car has began over heating, We took it into the shop and the guy suggested a tune-up and because all the fluid levels were okay he suggested replacing the thermostat switch.

After the tune up the car started to over heat again about 3 days after.

My GF mainly drives this , I drove it tonight and got the full understanding what she was talking about. We were about 8 miles away from home before I decided to turn around... After I saw what happened we aren't driving the car anymore until we figure it out.
I made a small list of scenarios

#1 - The heater works intermittently, on hot air it will turn to cold air and the temp gauge rises up.

#2 - Turning the AC on seems to bring the temp gauge back down to normal (For most cases though it seems to be getting worse)

#3 - I tried 3 things... I sat in the car idoling. With the heat and the AC off it climbed up from normal to hot, when I had the heat and then my 3rd attempt of AC the temp gauge increased to high.

#4- After turning the car off for no more then 2 min it drops back down to normal

#5- I was going down hill and the temp climbed up to high, I tried as fast as I could to pull over and shut the car off, (But there were some cars in my way) It went past the red high mark before I shut it off. Then I could smell the radiator fluid burning and see smoke coming out.
*The fluid levels in the radiator were apparently fine and the resovoir is full tooa

Any idea's/ experiences of your own of what the issue could be? After spending $450 on the tune up/ fix I'm worried that bringing it to another tech who has an 'idea' of whats wrong and just replaces the wrong issue.
Old 05-01-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car over heating, idea's?

What did they do when they tuned it up. This is caused by air pockets in the cooling system. The air pockets are being caused by a bad radiator cap, thermostat, or a bad head gasket. It's usually a bad head gasket.
Old 05-01-2010
Registered!!

tattooedfreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Could've been a sticking thermostat. If it wasnt the head gasket, it probably is now after multiply overheats.
Old 05-01-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes your right.. head gaskets usually blow because something else caused them to
Old 05-01-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I had that issue a while back.. I changed my radiator cap (went from aftermarket back to stock), thermostat, and did a coolant system flush and bleed.. Haven't had any overheating problems since.

That'll cost you probably $20 in parts/supplies, so it wouldn't hurt to try
Old 06-06-2010
Registered!!

keepinittc is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone have any solid solutions to this?

I am having the same issue and have been for quite some time. Coolant levels are fine for a week, then bone dry the next and I have the same issues regardless.

Not workin with a huge budget by any means, so any info or guides on how to flush the system out or change out the thermostat would be appreciated
Old 06-06-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Do a tune up man. Change your thermostat, rad cap and flush the cooling system.

If that does not work check your fans to make sure they are working.

If that does not work change your head gasket.
Old 06-06-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

i'd switch the top two things. check fans first, then flush coolant system/thermostat change.
Old 06-06-2010
Whachya lookin at?

^ Meh... thermo is part of regular maintenance that often gets overlooked. If you change the thermo you should bleed the system. That's why I often put that first. If he changed the thermostat already he will probably say he did... so there... i win..
Old 06-06-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I said fans first because it's a free-er and quicker fix.
Old 06-06-2010
Whachya lookin at?

You win hahaha
Old 06-06-2010
Administrator
Administrator

As always
Old 06-08-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Check to make sure the radiator fan is kicking on as well. Sit in the car and let it run for a bit, then listen to hear if the cooling fan is coming on or go check.

When you said switch that is different than (thermostat, if not change that), do a flush and get a new honda rad cap.

Try these things first.