Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Transmission Oil Disappearing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
knightress is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission Oil Disappearing?

so i have a 2008 honda civic. And the tranny oil is "disappearing" ......there is no oil under the car when i move it, and i cannot see where it is going, and i can't see a trail under the car or anything? I have refilled tranny fluid from empty to full 2 times in the last 6 months. Is this normal? and if not does anyone know why this could be happening?
Old 08-06-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission Oil Disappearing?

Look in the radiator and overflow bottle.
Old 04-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your car has a transmission cooler( which I don't think it would) or if your transmission cooler hooks in with your radiator..I'd check like the guy posted before me said.. Your radiator/reservoir. Other then that..really if your having to add transmission fluid that often I'd say 98% of the time its cause its leaking somewhere. The other 2% is something like its leaking into the radiator itself. But and don't quote me on this but I wouldn't think Honda civics come with transmission coolers..iv got an 01 civic EX and I don't have one but maybe the new ones do. Good luck man..
Old 04-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honda200192
If your car has a transmission cooler( which I don't think it would)

but I wouldn't think Honda civics come with transmission coolers..iv got an 01 civic EX and I don't have one but maybe the new ones do.
ALL of the automatic transmissions use a heat exchanger of some sort to cool the fluid. Your 01 car has a cooler inside the radiator, and the 8th gen car of the OP has a liquid-liquid heat exchanger (ATF-antifreeze) mounted on the front of the trans.

HTH