Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Civic 2003 oil pressure dropping to 5psi in ralenti

Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
juanjo_52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Civic 2003 oil pressure dropping to 5psi in ralenti

Hi Everyone,

My civic is showing the oil alert in ralenti (low rpm) when engine is hot (regular hot temperature), I took them to the mechanic, and he told me oil pressure sensor is OK, meaning that is mandatory to change the oil pump, also very possible a bearing is damaged, and he would know pressure problem is fixed until replace the oil pump by checking pressure does not drop less than 10 psi. if continue dropping to 5psi, then that means is a bearing damage.

I dislike diagnostic is based in proof and error,

According with your experience, based on oil pressure drop only in ralenti and when is hot (oil fluid is thinner i guess), do you agree with the technician?
Old 04-10-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic 2003 oil pressure dropping to 5psi in ralenti

Step 1: Change oil with spec and put on a factory oil filter. More than once I've seen oil filters be the cause of low oil pressure issues.

----------

The tech could do an oil pressure loss test with the oil pan off, but that's not an easy thing to do....

Rather than go to the expense (parts AND labor) of trying to replace random engine parts (oil pump, bearings) just to see if it will help, I'd rather drop in a good reliable used engine.