Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Civic LX - transmission slips at times

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 Civic LX - transmission slips at times

We just bought this car a few months back and changed the transmission oil to make sure it wasn't the issue ( may have been low before ). But this transmission slips some at times, between 2nd and 3rd gear, most often on upward inclined hills, which was why I thought the fluid may have been low.

Any idea what this might be and what it could cost to fix it? ( I'm not a mechanic ).

Also, what is a lock up solenoid and what does that do? I heard some people talking about it in a hypermiler forum.
Old 06-26-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 1998 Civic LX - transmission slips at times

Originally Posted by MamaBear2015
We just bought this car a few months back and changed the transmission oil to make sure it wasn't the issue ( may have been low before ). But this transmission slips some at times, between 2nd and 3rd gear, most often on upward inclined hills, which was why I thought the fluid may have been low.

Any idea what this might be and what it could cost to fix it? ( I'm not a mechanic ).

Also, what is a lock up solenoid and what does that do? I heard some people talking about it in a hypermiler forum.
You never stated whether it's an automatic or manual transmission. Since you stated transmission oil (and not ATF) it sounds like you own a manual transmission. If; its a manual transmission did you use this:
Amazon.com: Genuine Honda Fluid 08798-9031 Manual Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart: Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Honda Fluid 08798-9031 Manual Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart: Automotive
because, if you used another brand that could cause issues as well.
IF it's an automatic transmission what type/brand of ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) did you use? Did you do a 3x3 drain and fill?
Solenoids Testing: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/hon...lenoid-tests-1

Old 06-26-2015
Registered!!

Sorry, it's automatic. Our mechanic changed it, so I don't know the rest. What's a 3x3 drain & fill?
Old 06-26-2015

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Sorry, it's automatic. Our mechanic changed it, so I don't know the rest. What's a 3x3 drain & fill?
A 3x3 drain & refill:

1) Drain ATF from transmission drain pan. The entire transmission hold six quarts but, only three quarts will drain out as the rest stays in the torque convertor.
2) Refill three quarts and drive car for 15 to 20 minutes manually shifting through all gears including reverse (reverse only from a complete stop) .
3) Drain ATF again and refill three quarts and drive car for 15 to 20 minutes shifting through all gears including reverse.
4) Drain ATF again and refill three quarts and drive car for 15 to 20 minutes shifting through all gears including reverse.

In summary: 3 drain & refills X 3 quarts each time

The idea is to eventually drain out as much of the old fluid as possible that gets left in the torque convertor. Consensus is (and may be in service manual) is never have it flushed out with a machine flusher. You should ask your mechanic how he/she did it.
Also, ask the mechanic what type/brand ATF he/she used to replace.

Honda no longer makes the original ATF used on 96-00 Civics..they make an ATF that is compatible but has more detergents. Valvoline Max Life synthetic is a very good, lower price (Walmart) substitute that is safe to use.

Again, please find out from the mechanic the type/brand of ATF and the procedure used to change the ATF as it can be an issue if not properly done. If, they did do a 3x3 drain & refill and used a compatible ATF then there are additives you can try at your own risk to improve shifting. Here's a few that are linked but can be found at most major auto parts stores:

a) Lubegard Red:
Amazon.com: Lubegard 60902 Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant, 10 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Lubegard 60902 Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant, 10 oz.: Automotive
b) Lucus transmission treatment:
Amazon.com: Lucas 10009 Transmission Fix 24 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Lucas 10009 Transmission Fix 24 oz.: Automotive

Do not try those without getting info from mechanic first and reporting back here. If you do try an additive it is at your own risk to do so.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 06-26-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
A 3x3 drain & refill:

1) Drain ATF from transmission drain pan. The entire transmission hold six quarts but, only three quarts will drain out as the rest stays in the torque convertor.
2) Refill three quarts and drive car for 15 to 20 minutes manually shifting through all gears including reverse (reverse only from a complete stop) .
3) Drain ATF again and refill three quarts and drive car for 15 to 20 minutes shifting through all gears including reverse.
4) Drain ATF again and refill three quarts and drive car for 15 to 20 minutes shifting through all gears including reverse.

In summary: 3 drain & refills X 3 quarts each time

The idea is to eventually drain out as much of the old fluid as possible that gets left in the torque convertor. Consensus is (and may be in service manual) is never have it flushed out with a machine flusher. You should ask your mechanic how he/she did it.
Also, ask the mechanic what type/brand ATF he/she used to replace.

Honda no longer makes the original ATF used on 96-00 Civics..they make an ATF that is compatible but has more detergents. Valvoline Max Life synthetic is a very good, lower price (Walmart) substitute that is safe to use.

Again, please find out from the mechanic the type/brand of ATF and the procedure used to change the ATF as it can be an issue if not properly done. If, they did do a 3x3 drain & refill and used a compatible ATF then there are additives you can try at your own risk to improve shifting. Here's a few that are linked but can be found at most major auto parts stores:

a) Lubegard Red: Amazon.com: Lubegard 60902 Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant, 10 oz.: Automotive
b) Lucus transmission treatment: Amazon.com: Lucas 10009 Transmission Fix 24 oz.: Automotive

Do not try those without getting info from mechanic first and reporting back here. If you do try an additive it is at your own risk to do so.
Oh, I'm all but certain they didn't do all that. It would cost a fortune.
Old 06-27-2015

Oh, I'm all but certain they didn't do all that. It would cost a fortune.
Wouldn't cost as much as a transmission rebuild or replacement.

Two
Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Wouldn't cost as much as a transmission rebuild or replacement.

Two
No doubt, but I've never heard of a mechanic doing it before ( or charging what it would cost ) so I imagine someone would have to know, to ask for it in the first place, OR be doing it as part of their own oil change work at home.
Old 06-27-2015

No doubt, but I've never heard of a mechanic doing it before ( or charging what it would cost ) so I imagine someone would have to know, to ask for it in the first place, OR be doing it as part of their own oil change work at home.

You can ponder all you want but, it would be easier to just ask your mechanic instead of guessing. If he gets a defensive or pissy attitude about it then he's either doesn't know the proper procedure, gouging you, or shouldn't be working on your car. I did mine six months ago for a total of $32 (cost of ATF) and it's one of the easiest maintenance there is. Many DIY threads online about it.
Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

You can ponder all you want but, it would be easier to just ask your mechanic instead of guessing. If he gets a defensive or pissy attitude about it then he's either doesn't know the proper procedure, gouging you, or shouldn't be working on your car. I did mine six months ago for a total of $32 (cost of ATF) and it's one of the easiest maintenance there is. Many DIY threads online about it.
I have no doubt that you could do-it-yourself for that much, but to ask a mechanic to do all that - I'm guessing maybe $200?

But like you say, I can ask, and will next time.
Old 06-27-2015

I have no doubt that you could do-it-yourself for that much, but to ask a mechanic to do all that - I'm guessing maybe $200?

But like you say, I can ask, and will next time.
If you went to a national chain type of place they might charge you that much. If, you have a trusted local mechanic you could ask him to work with you, as you could do the 20 minutes of driving in between drain and fills. In that way he's only doing about 45 minutes to an hour of total labor time.