Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic EX hesitation accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kyrian is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic EX hesitation accelerating?

I recently bought a 98 Honda Civic EX about three months ago. It was running fine for the first two weeks. Then it started having problems where the acceleration would start hesitating and then not work at all and when it did I could only go between 1-10mph. It would mainly only start acting up when I would stop at a traffic light or turn my car off to get gas or something. I considered the caliper was sticking but the brakes look new. And not to mention my ABS light is always on, from the time I first start my car. But I assume the ABS has nothing to do with my power loss. There for a while the engine light would even come on. It hasn't come on anymore since I did some work to my car though. I did a computer scan and it pulled the codes P0730, P0700, P0113. Two were transmission codes.

So I fixed all the oil leaks when I first got my car by buying all new gaskets for my solenoids, valve cover, and distributor. I got a new timing belt, water pump and so on. I got my transmission rebuilt. I got new spark plugs. I got a new oil filter and transmission filter. I changed the oil and transmission fluid. I got a new torque converter.

I'm running out of ideas of what could be causing my acceleration problem?
Maybe the cat is clogged up or the idle air control valve is bad? I'm not too sure what is going on here. If someone could help me out that'd be awesome.
I do know for a fact that my distributor cap and rotor has some scratches on the inside because someone did not put it on right. I plan on getting a new one but I don't think that would necessarily cause the huge amount of power loss.
The engine seems fine though and I don't see any signs of vacuum leaks or anything of that sort.
I'm becoming quite hopeless because I can't even drive it 5 miles up the road. It loses power anytime I try to drive it.
Old 06-20-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 98 Civic EX hesitation accelerating?

Get a new cap and rotor first. You need fuel, air and spark to make the engine run, if any of these are off it won't run correctly.

IACV could be the culprit, you can remove it and clean it.
Old 06-26-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 98 Civic EX hesitation accelerating?

Sounds like a spark issue and likely an ICM and/or coil within the distributor is weak or failed...but may have not thrown a CEL code. RonJ to the rescue..he's the Ezone of HT :http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-de...blems-2919450/

Test first before buying new parts.