Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

1999 civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skramer is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 civic ex

hi to all,
I just bought my daughter a 99 civic ex sedan with 139000 miles on it. It is very cold here and the idle is right at 1500 until the engine gets up to operating temp. then it drops down to 600 or so. I also just checked the oil after 1000 miles and it was 3/4 qt low! There is also a little thing on the gauges that reminds the driver of "maintenance required". It just went from yellow to red. Is that for the oil changes or would it just be a reminder based on mileage? I am trying to get the maintenance records from the seller to see what has been done. I am pretty much a DIY'er and would like to repair anything that I can. Can you guys suggest anything for that idle?
Thanks
Scott
Old 02-17-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1999 civic ex

Cold fast idle sounds normal and expected.

600 warm sounds about close, and you can't trust the tach on the dash.

If it is too low it will kick the AC off when it drops to 600---then AC back on at 650ish, repeatedly (assuming it has working AC). If it does this, see if the IAC valve has a screen in it, and clean the carbon buildup out of that screen.

You can also clean the throttle body and blade with carb and throttle cleaner and toothbrush or shop towel.

Oil consumption is reasonable, even if it is not desirable.
SOMEone will need to learn right away how and when to check and top off their oil (and the rest of the vital fluids) else SOMEone will be paying "the tax".

The maint flag is for oil changes, this feature should be explained in the owners manual.
It runs off of the odometer, it's a simple mileage counter, and you need to look at the oil condition yourself to figure out if the indicator is telling the truth (if it was reset at the last oil change) or not. Does it look gold and fresh, or old and black?

Most people go by the oil change sticker in the windshield instead.

Timing belt?
Have a dealer check the VIN for outstanding recalls?

HTH
Old 02-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skramer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1999 civic ex

thanks for the reply...

I will go over the items that you mentioned. I was concerned about the oil because my first car was a 1989 Honda Civic DX hatchback and when I got rid of it, it had 173,000 miles and I never had to add a drop of oil in the 10 years that I owned it! I religiously changed the oil every 3000 though...and I don't know the complete history of this car.
Thanks again
Scott