Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

radiator and heater hose break in same week

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chelsie541 is an unknown quantity at this point
radiator and heater hose break in same week

so i have a 98 honda civic, it has 178,000 miles on it... last weekend the heater hose blew and caused the car to over heat, and blew coolant everywhere, there was a slit and i cut it and put it back on and made a mental not to change the hose soon,,, well a week later the radiator hose did the same thing... and blew coolant everywhere.. i was on the freeway pulled over to a gas station.. bought some duck tape and that seemed to work until i got to the part store and home without over heating.. replaced the hose everything seems fiine now... i am so paranoid that there may be something else wrong.. i checked the coolant level this morning and its at the same spot where it was yesterday so no leaks.. and im thinking it may the thermostat..so im replacing that today. i cant seem to find anything that relates to my problem but read that once one hose goes out all of them will go out and to replace all of them and to also replace the thermstat when you replace the hoses... someone said it could be a leaking gasket but the coolant is still in the radiator where the coolant goes.. i just want to know if there is a underlying problem. ive been researching but all i get is blown headgasket which i know it is not a blown head gasket because the oil was changed yesterday and there is no coolant in the oil.. and the coolant isnt leaking.. no white smoke.. and the car isnt over heating.. its at normal level.. only overheated when the hoses burst... didnt even over heat when the duct tape was on it. i know it could be that the hoses are old.. but i just want to reassure that there isnt something else wrong with theese symptoms. and i let the car idle and everything seems fine...
Old 04-14-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: radiator and heater hose break in same week

Hoses are made of rubber

rubber deteriorates naturally as it ages

heat and oil make rubber deteriorate even faster

your hoses are all the same age, as old as the car

IMO: replace all the rest of the rubber hoses before the next one breaks

pray to the deity of your choosing that you did not cause damage by overheating the engine

It used to be recommended that hoses be replaced every 4 years..... but that was back in the pre-80s.

In the 90s I used to hear 10 years was suggested for some hoses.

Nowadays with EPDM rubber, some of them seem like they might outlast the car, as long as it never overheats.