Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

OVERHEATING!!!argh help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b20civicdx is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation OVERHEATING!!!argh help?

I have a 94 civic dx with a b20 ls swap I bought the car from my friend he took out the thermostat cuz it was overheating he thought that was bad yesterday I put on in brand new an now my car over heats I flushed the system and put in straight coolant idk if my heater core is bad cuz I don't smell anti freeze and there's no leaks in the car but I still have no heat I don't think its clogged either because when I took off the hoses on the fire wall fluid came out my fans good my rads good so idk what's wrong.

Is there amy way to like test the heater core or soothing? And also my friend told me if I just connect both tubes for the heater core that might eliminate my over heating problem? Will that also mean the heater core is bad if that works? If any one has any insight into this please help me.
Old 01-06-2012
Registered!!

floyd107 is on a distinguished road
Re: OVERHEATING!!!argh help?

your water pump might be bad or you may have a blown head gasket(sometimes your oil will look kinda milky if you gasket is blown). And i dont think running straight coolent is good ether.id suggest mixing it 50-50 with water.
Old 01-06-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yea it's probably your water pump, and its not good to run straight antifreeze because the purpose of antifreeze is to keep the water from freezing. Straight water is the best for cooling but you mix it so that it does not freeze when it gets cold out.
Old 01-07-2012
Registered!!

b20civicdx is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there santa way to tell for sure its my water pump?
Old 01-07-2012
Registered!!

floyd107 is on a distinguished road

In most cases the water pump will leak water/coolent(so it may not be clear), sometimes you will hear a weird noise due to the bearing going bad.
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

socalsuncar is an unknown quantity at this point

i think you may think about head gasket too. does it rough start and gurgle. water may be getting trapped in combustion chamber. then burning out as it warms. may not always find water in your oil.
Old 01-11-2012
Registered!!

puckman1325 is an unknown quantity at this point

did you properly bleed the coolant system? there may be air in it causing your heater to blow cold any other issues with idle or anything, ie white smoke, engine running bad?
Old 03-19-2012
Registered!!

Leesautoworks is an unknown quantity at this point

If your car's temperature is at hot and is having trouble cooling down, you can do one of the following to solve the problem:

1) Check the tension on the serpentine belt and adjust the tensioner if needed.

Choose this option if the serpentine belt is too loose resulting in water pump not receiving the proper amount of rotation to pump coolant

2) Check for coolant leaks at the coolant lines, radiator and reserve tank. Replace defective part.

Choose this option if the coolant lines, radiator or reserve tank is leaking so that not enough coolant returns back to the engine

3) Close or replace reserve tank cap or radiator cap

Choose this option if the reserve tank cap or radiator cap is loose or open so that hot coolant is vaporized into the atmosphere so that not enough coolant returns back to the engine

4) Plug in fan if the plug has become loose. Replace defective fan.

Choose this option if the fan is not spinning.

5) Replace defective thermostat.

Choose this option if the thermostat is siezed and is blocking the hot coolant from circulating back to the radiator to cool down before returning back to the engine

6) Top up or replace old coolant.

Choose this option if the coolant level is lower than the minimum suggested level or if it has been a while since you've last replaced the coolant

7) Perform an engine flush and replace engine oil to the proper level using proper motor viscosity grade oil.

8) Replace defective oil pump.

Check out http://www.drive-more-fix-less.com/t...reproblem.html